The Minority in Parliament has accused Finance Minister, Ken Ofori Atta of breaching the procurement Act when he awarded a GHȻ10m COCOBOD contract to a private businessman.
At a press conference Tuesday, the National Democratic Congress (NDC) MPs said the contract was given without the approval of the Public Procurement Authority.
Addressing the media, Minority Leader, Haruna Iddrisu, said the contract given to McDan Shipping Company Limited, did not pass through the Central Tender Review committee.
The MPs say the contract was awarded on June 9, 2017, but the Review committee which is to do the approval was only constituted on August 1, 2017.
The Minority caucus said there is also no board for the PPA to approve the contract and are therefore asking "who in the PPA is approving those contracts?".
"There is a breach of the procurement process .....it is clear that this government is not respecting procurement laws" he called the attention of the media.
The Minority said the Finance Minister also approved a GHȻ10million loan from adb Bank to be given to McDan Shipping again without the approval of the Board.
They pointed out, the adb Bank does not even have a Board.
The NDC MPs said the approval exposes the bank to possible collapse in granting the GHȻ10 million cedis loan to one of his political cronies.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Gov’t says drop in inflation, fuel prices sign of better days ahead
- Akufo-Addo removes Justice Dery, two other high court judges from office
- NDC flagbearer race: Goosie Tanoh will get full backing if he wins - Asiedu Nketiah
- Reversion to 'original' logo cost less than GHS16,000 – EC boss
- Mahama will be easier to beat in 2020 - Nana Akomea projects
- Sylvester Mensah is intellectually fit for the presidency - NDC Chairman supports
- I'll continue Mills' policy of building party offices - Alabi
- I'll accelerate development if...Sly Mensah pledges
- Work hard, bring NDC back; Sly Mensah to delegates in Eastern Region
- I won't fail you; Prof Alabi tells Ashanti NDC
- "Reduce it again" - 6 NDC presidential aspirants turn Oliver Twist
- Bye-election: 'Unifying' NPP candidate emerges at Ayawaso West Wuogon
- NDC Primaries: Alabi files nomination Monday
- Yellow for Yes, brown for No – EC on new regions referendum
- August 4 soon to be Public Holiday if...