Second Deputy Speaker of Parliament, Alban Bagbin says reasons given by the Mahama-led administration for the neglect of the grassroot during its tenure are unacceptable.
The MP for Nadoli Kaleo who has already attributed the defeat of the National Democratic Congress in the 2016 general elections to bad governance at party level believes the previous administration could have done more for its youth.
“The pillars that support you when you’re up there, are the pillars you have to fortify to continue to carry you up there when you weaken them, you fall. You cannot put something on nothing. We have to change.
“Don’t tell me that the boys that suddenly came closer to the president within four years can build mansions and buy land cruisers and you say there are no resources, where are they getting the money, their salaries?” Mr Bagbin queried.
He was addressing constituency executives in the Volta regional town of Keta.
Mr Bagbin said the neglect has pushed many of the grassroot supporters away, weakening the party’s base. He warned that the NDC risks being in opposition for long if the grassroot of the party is not won back.
He wants the trend to change.
“When you’re elected a leader, you have been given the power by the people. What you are expected to use that power to do is to empower your people to keep you in power for long.
“But when they give you the power, you go and empower some other people, not the people who worked to get you into power and you expect to be in power for long? It can’t happen,” he said.
The seven-time MP has however assured that their hard work and sacrifices will be rewarded if he is elected presidential candidate and wins the 2020 polls.
Mr Bagbin is one of the most vocal critics of the Mahama administration. Even while the party was in power, he consistently pointed out the ills of the administration.
He was ignored, but the MP will not back down. He wants to be president and has promised to do better than the previous leadership if elected.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Undercover investigator killing: Gov't charges police to speed up investigations
- NDC agrees to revise presidential primaries guidelines
- Video: NDC, NPP lock horns over Menzgold
- NDC diverted 100 vehicles meant for Education Ministry for party activities
- Gov’t should have objected to NAM1 sponsoring Ghana Premier League - NDC
- Gov't endorsement of NAM1 enhanced his credibility - NDC
- Mahama, wife don’t have investments with Menzgold - Joyce Bawah
- NDC postpones flagbearer election
- Help us end chieftaincy disputes – Ga Traditional Council pleads with Akufo-Addo
- NDC MPs supporting Mahama out of gratitude - Bagbin
- NAM 1 arrest: More questions than answers
- Ablakwa wants bi-partisan parliamentary inquiry into Menzgold saga
- Out of court settlement agreed in injunction on NDC presidential primaries
- Alabi celebrates Victor Gbeho, Dzirasah on his campaign trail
- Chiefs begin process to formulate dev't agenda for Bono East Region