Former President John Mahama has disassociated himself from comments by a group calling itself Social Democratic Forum, which claims to be affiliated to him.
The group in a statement recently accused former President John Rawlings, Tobge Afede XIV and some top senior members of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) of conspiring to derail any attempt by Mr Mahama to lead the party as the presidential candidate ahead of elections in 2020.
Special Aide to former President Mahama, Joyce Bawa Mogtari, has said in a statement that the comments do not reflect the views of the former President.
“The Office of HE John Dramani Mahama has noted with concern a statement from a group calling itself the Social Democratic Forum, which contains unacceptable tribal undertones.
“The said group is unknown to the Office and indeed the National Democratic Congress (NDC). We condemn the tribal undertones of the statement and rejects its content entirely,” the statement said.
The statement also condemned the tribal undertones of the group’s statement and rejects its content entirely.
The statement went on further to say the former President does not view the divergent views from the senior members of the party as inimical but rather a demonstration of the maturity of the NDC's democratic internal arrangement.
The statement from the office of the former President in concluding urged the public to disregard any suggestions that the statement made represent his views.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Gov’t to write to diplomats over ‘false’ Mahama videos
- New regions won’t add to your legacy – Bentil tells prez to prioritise infrastructure dev’t
- Veep reiterates gov’t’s resolve to improve Zongos
- Governance expert pushes for law on selection of regional capitals
- Mahama urged to submit his evidence to Emile Short Commission
- Hot Video: Joy News Editorial: Short Commission - Same questions, different responses
- Parliament summons Interior Minister over recent children assaults
- Mahama's election bid hit with suit
- Suhuyini accuses Speaker of unfair treatment
- #GhanaConnect: Citizens ‘scared’ by witnesses’ accounts at Short C’ssion
- Mahama acted appropriately, deal with NPP thugs - Osafo Maafo told
- Dambai is capital of new Oti region
- Brong Ahafo to be known as Bono Region
- Sefwi Wiaso is capital of Western North region
- Joint CDD-Ghana, CODEO delegation in Nigeria