A Deputy CEO at the National Youth Authority has emerged as a viable candidate to represent the New Patriotic Party (NPP) in the upcoming by-election at Ayawaso West Wuogon, following the death of the MP, Emmanuel Agyarko.
Richard Joojo Obeng affectionately called Rocky, is largely seen as a unifying, consensus candidate after two camps within the constituency appear to have rattled the grassroot.
The camps formed behind wife of the late MP Josephine Agyarko and a mistress Lydia Alhassan.
Ayawaso West Wuogon is seen as a safe seat for the governing NPP since it first took the seat in 2000.
Three successive NPP MPs – George Isaac Amoo, Akosua Frema Osei-Opare and Emmanuel Boakye Agyarko have all won the seat.
Big wigs and kingmakers within the constituency are believed to be backing Rocky Obeng, a former student leader from the Commonwealth Hall of the University of Ghana.
The deputy NYA CEO in charge of Finance and Administration, is seen as an ideal candidate in a constituency that provides location for two big universities in Ghana, the University of Ghana and the Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA).
His youth appeal in a predominantly youthful constituency with one of the most highly concentrated levels of literacy, is expected to work in favour of Mr. Obeng if he is presented by the party in the by-election.
Inside the party, Mr. Obeng is seen as respectful, politically savvy, humble and on good terms with rival camps within the constituency.
He has been commended for his contribution at the Ayawaso West Wuogon constituency to the 2016 general elections in branding the party machinery with political paraphernalia.
A party event organised at GIMPA recently and addressed by Mr. Obeng turned into the most visible endorsement of his candidature yet.
The NPP is expected to settle on candidates for the primaries scheduled for January 2019.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- New High Court ruling on Afoko bail ‘shocking, bizarre’ – Kpebu
- Remove new GRA Board Chair until impropriety claims are cleared - CSOs
- Treat corruption as high-risk activity – Adwoa Safo
- 'President has killed corruption probe on ex-Maritime Authority boss'
- Ayariga questions Amidu's motive for filing new charges
- Apaak takes on Akufo-Addo, GBA, others for Afoko’s continuous detention
- Former IGP’s aide cites ‘mounting pressure’ for contesting as MP
- South Korean Foreign minister calls on Bawumia
- NDC places hold on parliamentary primaries in 37 constituencies
- I pursued politics with 'secret agenda' to implement BoG policies - Bawumia
- Bagbin, 4 other NDC MPs to leave Parliament
- Don't dare introduce new chamber idea again – Parliament warned
- Full document: Amidu files fresh charges against Ayariga
- 'Does NPP still have the men?' – Prof. Gyampo wonders
- #DropThatChamber: Newsfile panelists praise Economic Fighters League leader