Former President John Dramani Mahama is in Abeokuta, Nigeria to participate in a high-level working group meeting on mitigating disruptive applications of ICT on the electoral process in Africa.
The two-day meeting which begins Tuesday, will produce a report on the strengths and challenges in the use of ICT and models of successful deployment of ICT in electoral systems in Africa for the sustenance of democracy on the continent.
The High-Level Working Group is chaired by former Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo and includes Mr. Mahama, Ethiopia’s Hailemariam Desalegn, Professor Amos Sawyerr of Liberia, Raila Odinga of Kenya, Joaquim Chissano of Mozambique, the former Chairpersons of the South African and Nigerian Electoral Commissions among others.
President Mahama who left Accra on Monday will together with his colleagues share their practical experience in the use of ICT in elections and make recommendations for improvement.
Over the last few elections in Africa, there have been the emergence of some danger signs in the use of ICT, with increasing reports and fears of possible willful distortions of the technical process.
In addition, there are concerns about social media manipulation of voters and vicious attacks using ICT platforms, which must be arrested in order not to diminish the credibility of elections on the continent and impede the attainment of Africa’s Vision 2063.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Unresolved kidnappings: Family, IMANI, lawyer doubt police commitment
- Ablakwa pushes for probe as confusion rocks NAM1 court appearance date
- Bawumia advocates inclusive governance in Africa
- 'I have nothing to hide' - Ex- Dep BoG Governor refutes complicity in banking crisis
- Arrest Kennedy Agyapong now! - Minority charge
- Nam1 trip waste of taxpayers’ money – Apaak
- Supreme Court suspends ruling on disputed Woyome-UT bank properties
- Ghana’s development under Akufo-Addo impressive – Madagascar President
- NDC would not abolish the free SHS policy – Mahama
- Ahmed's killing cannot end like others - Rawlings condemns “reckless” Agyapong
- Murdered investigator: No reason to narrow probe to Agyapong – Ken Attafuah
- Akufo-Addo, Mahama congratulate Ya Naa -elect
- Yaa Naa’s funeral ends with prayers for harmony
- Referendum and district elections slated for Sept
- Ghana Airport Company MD removed