It has emerged that ex-President John Mahama will not lose a night’s sleep in his attempt to raise the ‘bounty’ placed on filing for his party’s flagbearership.
An appointee in the ex-President’s administration has revealed that a former constituency Chairman who is a successful businessman is paying half of the GH¢400,000.
Felix Kwakye Ofosu said besides that, a group of 420 sympathisers of Mr. Mahama have tasked themselves with GH¢1,000 each and will donate same towards the ex-President’s course.
Felix Kwakye Ofosu
That is enough to cater for the additional GH¢20,000 the flagbearer aspirants of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) will pay for nomination forms.
But it doesn’t end there “…earlier in the week when John Mahama went to the Asawase constituency, they said irrespective of the amount that is charged they are willing to pay for his nomination forms,” the former Deputy Communications Minister revealed.
The MPs for JM have also launched a short-code to raise funds to support the campaign, Mr Ofosu said on Newsfile on Joy FM/Joy News TV Saturday.
Defending the GH¢420,000 fee, Mr. Ofosu also reiterated the words of the General Secretary of the NDC, Asiedu Nketia that the ability of the candidates to raise the amount will confirm their ability to lead fundraising for the party’s 2020 campaign.
“You should be able to sell your vision to the people in a way that they will be willing to pay some money to support your campaign,” he noted.
He added that he disagrees with those arguing that the NDC has discarded its social democratic principles by charging that high amount as filing fees.
He explained that the Electoral College that will be taking part in the flagbearer elections is very huge and the party will have to cough up the money one way or the other.
The NDC is however not only relying on the monies from the aspirants to meet the estimated GH¢8million that the election will cost, but Mr.Ofosu also said. The party has other fundraising means to rely on, he noted.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- NDC better off in 2020 without Mahama – H. Kwasi Prempeh
- 2020 elections: Polls progress steadily as 7 vie to cut short NDC stay in opposition
- Party militia: Let Otumfuo or Ya-Na mediate NPP, NDC meeting - Citizens to Akufo-Addo
- NDC Professionals Forum International wishes party well in presidential primaries
- Bagbin, Alabi allege vote tampering as NDC prepares to elect flagbearer
- Meeting over militias won’t solve anything – NDC tells Akufo-Addo
- I'll bring Rawlings back to campaign - Alabi assures Volta NDC
- 'We can't find NDC MPs who held 'bloody widow' placards' - Parliament
- Asking NPP, NDC to meet over vigilantism too simplistic – Mahama
- 2020 election message not Bobolibobo - Joshua Alabi
- Asking NPP, NDC to deal with vigilantism is narrow approach - Prof. Gatsi
- Rawlings hopeful NDC, NPP will heed Akufo-Addo’s call to disarm militias
- NPP, NDC meeting cannot stop party militia canker – Asiedu Nketia
- Meet next week over party militia - Akufo-Addo rallies NPP, NDC leaders
- Full Text: President Akufo-Addo's SONA 2019