A flagbearer hopeful of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), Sylvester Mensah, has revealed that the textiles and garment industry can create millions of jobs for the youth of Ghana if government adequately invests in that sector through a public-private partnership using a venture capital model.
Mr. Mensah said this when he was interacting with branch and constituency executives in the Eastern Region, on Wednesday, December 19.
"When it comes to creating jobs for Ghanaians, there are several innovative ways that can be done. There is a huge potential for jobs within the textiles and garment industry. China has taken advantage of that and I believe we can also do so. Because of the AGOA, Ghana has a competitive advantage over China in the production and exportation of textiles and garments. This industry can create about a million jobs in each of the ten Regions of this country. If you give me the mandate, I know how to make it happen," the former CEO of the National Health Insurance Authority (NHIA) said.
Mr. Mensah has observed that Akufo-Addo and the NPP are struggling to create the jobs they have promised because they do not have achievable ideas to implement. He appealed to delegates to put faith in him, give him the mandate so that he can implement the innovative ideas he has to create jobs in order to bring down unemployment drastically and save this country from the national security threat it portends.
Mr. Mensah began his campaign tour of the Eastern Region last week and after touring 26 constituencies, postponed his meeting with the rest seven in order to submit his nomination forms. Having successfully submitted his forms on Monday, December 17, Mr. Mensah resumed his tour which took him to five out of the seven constituencies, on Wednesday.
The first meeting for the day was held in Akwatia constituency, followed by Kade, Lower West Akim, upper West Akim and Nsawam Adoagyiri constituencies.
Branch and constituency executives have expressed their satisfaction with Mr Mensah's message of ensuring unity in the NDC at all times, recognising and acknowledging sacrifices of executives at all levels, creating prosperity for all and giving power back to them. They have also praised Mr Mensah for embarking upon a clean campaign and promised to vote for him as flagbearer of the NDC.
See more photos below:
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- CK Tedam, a great patriot, NPP legend – Akufo-Addo mourns
- Aisha Huang deportation: Wrong exercise of discretion - Sam Okudzeto
- NPP Council of Elders Chair, C.K Tedam, 93, dies
- Mahama, top Nigerian politicians, businessmen honoured with leadership awards
- NDC, EC clash over conduct of upcoming limited registration
- ‘Freeing Aisha Huang indirectly ridicules our courts’ - Ambassador Gbeho
- Parliament recalled to pass Companies Bill
- SA xenophobic attackers must be prosecuted – Okudzeto urges int’l community
- Minority to trigger process for Osafo Maafo’s removal
- Collins Dauda reduced Parliament’s approved Saglemi contract – Atta-Akyea
- Gov't lacks strategic policy in dealing with China - Lecturer
- Deporting 'Galamsey Queen': Ablakwa spreads blame
- OccupyGhana 'highly disappointed' by Osafo-Maafo comments on Aisha Huang
- Politics is not religion… - Free Zones boss wants a paradigm shift
- Parliament postpones stakeholder engagement on Vigilante Bill