A flagbearer hopeful of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), Sylvester Mensah, has revealed that the textiles and garment industry can create millions of jobs for the youth of Ghana if government adequately invests in that sector through a public-private partnership using a venture capital model.
Mr. Mensah said this when he was interacting with branch and constituency executives in the Eastern Region, on Wednesday, December 19.
"When it comes to creating jobs for Ghanaians, there are several innovative ways that can be done. There is a huge potential for jobs within the textiles and garment industry. China has taken advantage of that and I believe we can also do so. Because of the AGOA, Ghana has a competitive advantage over China in the production and exportation of textiles and garments. This industry can create about a million jobs in each of the ten Regions of this country. If you give me the mandate, I know how to make it happen," the former CEO of the National Health Insurance Authority (NHIA) said.
Mr. Mensah has observed that Akufo-Addo and the NPP are struggling to create the jobs they have promised because they do not have achievable ideas to implement. He appealed to delegates to put faith in him, give him the mandate so that he can implement the innovative ideas he has to create jobs in order to bring down unemployment drastically and save this country from the national security threat it portends.
Mr. Mensah began his campaign tour of the Eastern Region last week and after touring 26 constituencies, postponed his meeting with the rest seven in order to submit his nomination forms. Having successfully submitted his forms on Monday, December 17, Mr. Mensah resumed his tour which took him to five out of the seven constituencies, on Wednesday.
The first meeting for the day was held in Akwatia constituency, followed by Kade, Lower West Akim, upper West Akim and Nsawam Adoagyiri constituencies.
Branch and constituency executives have expressed their satisfaction with Mr Mensah's message of ensuring unity in the NDC at all times, recognising and acknowledging sacrifices of executives at all levels, creating prosperity for all and giving power back to them. They have also praised Mr Mensah for embarking upon a clean campaign and promised to vote for him as flagbearer of the NDC.
See more photos below:
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Rawlings hopeful NDC, NPP will heed Akufo-Addo’s call to disarm militias
- NPP, NDC meeting cannot stop party militia canker – Asiedu Nketia
- Meet next week over party militia - Akufo-Addo rallies NPP, NDC leaders
- Full Text: President Akufo-Addo's SONA 2019
- SONA 2019: New ¢1b Housing Fund to target low-income earners – Akufo-Addo
- SONA 2019: Akufo-Addo pays tribute to fallen heroes in 2018
- State of the Nation address: What to expect
- What the law says: On formation and joining political militia groups
- SONA 2019: Akufo-Addo to ‘justify mandate, confidence reposed in him’
- Emile Short Commission ‘doing some good work’ – NDC alters stance
- Kumasi shooting confirms plans to scuttle NDC primaries – top executive
- NDC denounces militia group ‘The Hawks’
- Short Commission petitioned to invite Mahama
- NCCE to name, shame political parties backing vigilante groups
- Investigate 15-bullet marks around my house – Witness tells Commission