Some identifiable groups made up of security agencies, officers of the Electoral Commission and the media, are taking part in the special voting on the proposed creation of six new regions in 47 districts across the country.
The exercise which started on Monday is taking place in the Brong Ahafo, Western, Northern and Volta regions.
In all, some 10,127 persons are eligible to participate in the exercise and voting is expected to end at 5 PM.
The Electoral Commission says it has made available enough logistics for successful voting.
Chairperson of the Commission, Jean Mensa told the media “each polling station will have two Biometric Verification Devices (BVDs). In addition, provision has been made for backup BVDs at the regional and district offices of the Commission.”
Mrs Mensa said counting of the ballots will commence immediately after voting in the full glare of the public with results being announced there and then.
“All certified polling station results will be submitted to the district collation centres. The district returning officers will collate all the polling station results and submit the district results to the regional returning officer after same has been announced at the district collation centre.
“The regional collation officer of the six proposed areas will tally all the results of the districts in a particular carved area and declare the results of the referendum at the regional referendum centre,” the EC Chair stated.
Monday’s exercise is the first step towards the main referendum on Thursday to decide on the proposed new regions.
There is however a strong push for a YES vote in the proposed Oti enclave.
As correspondent Fred Kwame Asare reports, youth groups in the area are campaigning to get inhabitants in the area to come out to vote on Thursday.
The youth took to the streets of Jasikan in a walk dubbed “Yellow walk for Oti Region”. This was to awaken the spirit of patriotism in the older generation and implore them to participate in the referendum.
Participants dressed in yellow t-shirts had inscriptions like “Vote yes for Oti region”, “Yes for Development” among others.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Long hours of parliamentary sittings health risk–Muntaka
- NDC disappointed Kwabena Adjei - Rawlings
- "It is misjudgment" - Minister-designate withdraws NDC Mahindra claims
- "The President must wake up!" – Baako fires
- Leaked NDC tape: Ampofo charges reduce, Gyamfi and Boahene added
- Violence not path for resolving conflict, Gov't to feuding Chereponi factions
- I’ll set up gold museum in Western Region – Tourism Minister-designate
- President assents to Civil Aviation Amendment Bill
- Militia confab: President’s response unfortunate - Sammy Gyamfi
- The Bible knows no biased prophet like Owusu Bempah – John Mahama
- New law on party militias sad, longer route to peace - NDC
- I disagree with JoyNews militia documentary promo - Sammi Awuku
- Law on party militia needless – Bentil dismisses Akufo-Addo’s plan
- Akufo-Addo directs AG to draft bill on party militia
- Short Commission presents report to Akufo-Addo