The President has instructed the Information Ministry to take steps to publish the 398-page report of the Justice Brobbey Commission that inquired into the creation of new regions in 2018.
Information minister, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah who made the revelation said the process of creating the new regions was initiated in accordance with Article 5 of the 1992 constitution which does not provide for the publication of the report of the report of the commission of Inquiry.
He told journalist at a briefing in Accra on Sunday that President Akufo-Addo has, however, instructed that in accordance with his firm views on transparency the report should be published in full.
The minister said this should not be confused with Article 278 commissions which require a mandatory publication of the report of the commission under the chairmanship of Justice S.A. Brobbey.
“In an instruction note to the Ministry of Information, President Akufo-Addo states...“that the dictates of good governance and transparency in the public space of a functioning democracy should lead me to authorize, prior to the planned referenda by the Electoral Commission on December 27, 2018, the publication of the Report of the Commission of Inquiry into the Creation of New Regions” the minister revealed.
The Supreme Court last week rejected a challenge to the constitutionality of the process initiated by the President upon receipt of petitions for the creation of six new regions.
“The information Ministry in accordance with the President’s instructions will publish the report in full on the government online portal www.ghana.gov.gh as well as on our social media handles in the coming week.
“It will also be made available at the Ghana Publishing Company for hard copy purchase,” Mr Oppong Nkrumah said.
He added that copies of the report will also be available to Parliament and subsequently disseminated across key stakeholder groups nationwide.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Gov’t to write to diplomats over ‘false’ Mahama videos
- New regions won’t add to your legacy – Bentil tells prez to prioritise infrastructure dev’t
- Veep reiterates gov’t’s resolve to improve Zongos
- Governance expert pushes for law on selection of regional capitals
- Mahama urged to submit his evidence to Emile Short Commission
- Hot Video: Joy News Editorial: Short Commission - Same questions, different responses
- Parliament summons Interior Minister over recent children assaults
- Mahama's election bid hit with suit
- Suhuyini accuses Speaker of unfair treatment
- #GhanaConnect: Citizens ‘scared’ by witnesses’ accounts at Short C’ssion
- Mahama acted appropriately, deal with NPP thugs - Osafo Maafo told
- Dambai is capital of new Oti region
- Brong Ahafo to be known as Bono Region
- Sefwi Wiaso is capital of Western North region
- Joint CDD-Ghana, CODEO delegation in Nigeria