The La Dade Kotopon constituency caucus of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) is set to pick nomination forms for former National Health Insurance Authority (NHIA) boss, Sylvester Mensah in his flagbearer bid.
In a statement sighted by Myjoyonline, the members of the constituency thought it prudent to pick the forms for Mr. Mensah, and go around the country to garner the endorsements for him after following recent developments in the party.
“We know it's the party's responsibility to raise funds for party function defined in the party's constitution and not individual aspirants,” the statement said.
The General Secretary of the party, Johnson Asiedu Nketia justified the monumental nomination and filing fees of the party, saying that the ability of the candidates to raise the GH¢420, 000 will prove their ability to raise funds for the party’s 2020 campaign.
A petition has already been sent by eight of the aspirants to the Council of Elders of the party for a downward review of the fee.
Party founder, ex-President Rawlings has stated his disgust for the high fees which is said to be more than 700% increment of the previous one.
The National Executive Committee is, however, unfazed. According to the NEC, the party needs money to run its affairs and including the presidential primaries.
The other aspirants also believe the process has been completed to favour ex-President John Mahama who is also in the race.
Already, some Minority Members of Parliament have launched a shortcode for the former President’s campaign some 420 persons have pledged GH¢1000 each which will cater for the nomination and filing fees.
NDC members of Asawase constituency have picked up Mr. Mahama’s forms.
Meanwhile, a meeting may be called by the Council of Elders to discuss the petition sent to them.
The La Dade Kotopon constituency says they have received contributions just over GH¢ 20, 000 to pick the nomination forms Tuesday if the deadline is not extended.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Mahama urged to submit his evidence to Emile Short Commission
- Hot Video: Joy News Editorial: Short Commission - Same questions, different responses
- Parliament summons Interior Minister over recent children assaults
- Mahama's election bid hit with suit
- Suhuyini accuses Speaker of unfair treatment
- #GhanaConnect: Citizens ‘scared’ by witnesses’ accounts at Short C’ssion
- Mahama acted appropriately, deal with NPP thugs - Osafo Maafo told
- Dambai is capital of new Oti region
- Brong Ahafo to be known as Bono Region
- Sefwi Wiaso is capital of Western North region
- Joint CDD-Ghana, CODEO delegation in Nigeria
- Short Commission: Police denies knowledge of SWAT vehicle, masked men
- Rawlings calls for global political accountability
- Short Commission probe: No armed men in any of our polling stations - Jean Mensa
- Lack of political will cause of growing vigilantism - Aning