Nominee for Special Prosecutor job, Martin Amidu, says he is the best man for the office.
Responding to his duties as Chairman for the Public Agreement Board under the erstwhile Provincial National Defense Council (PNDC), Mr. Amidu explained that he performed a lot of scrutiny on government contracts before they were passed and that can guarantee his record of being patriotic.
“…and that is why if you want anybody who will be meticulous in investigating and prosecuting, the president [Nana Akufo-Addo] has made the best choice for you, Mr. Amidu told the Parliamentary Vetting Committee, Tuesday during his grilling.
“…but if you want anybody who will look the other way, just disapprove me,” he added.
Mr. Amidu explained that as Chairman of the Public Agreement Board during the PNDC [an office established under, Section 42 PNDC proclamation sub-sequential provisions and consequential law 1983, PNDC law 42] regime he was a gatekeeper that prevented ministers from entering frivolous contracts.
“…I was so meticulous that unless the contract was in the national interest, I rejected it,” he said.
He also stated that his critical attitude did not sit well with some of the ministers but he had the support of the Chairman of the PNDC, Flt. Lt. Jerry John Rawlings.
“…and that caused me to have problems with some ministers but the Chair of the PNDC was behind me,” he stated.
Martin Alamisi Amidu was announced by President Akufo-Addo as the nominee for the Office Special Prosecutor on January 11, 2018.
The office is to help in the fight against corruption without being accused of witch hunting and is part of Akufo-Addo’s campaign promises.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- NDC better off in 2020 without Mahama – H. Kwasi Prempeh
- 2020 elections: 7 vie to cut short NDC stay in opposition
- Party militia: Let Otumfuo or Ya-Na mediate NPP, NDC meeting - Citizens to Akufo-Addo
- NDC Professionals Forum International wishes party well in presidential primaries
- Bagbin, Alabi allege vote tampering as NDC prepares to elect flagbearer
- Meeting over militias won’t solve anything – NDC tells Akufo-Addo
- I'll bring Rawlings back to campaign - Alabi assures Volta NDC
- 'We can't find NDC MPs who held 'bloody widow' placards' - Parliament
- Asking NPP, NDC to meet over vigilantism too simplistic – Mahama
- 2020 election message not Bobolibobo - Joshua Alabi
- Asking NPP, NDC to deal with vigilantism is narrow approach - Prof. Gatsi
- Rawlings hopeful NDC, NPP will heed Akufo-Addo’s call to disarm militias
- NPP, NDC meeting cannot stop party militia canker – Asiedu Nketia
- Meet next week over party militia - Akufo-Addo rallies NPP, NDC leaders
- Full Text: President Akufo-Addo's SONA 2019