Former President Rawlings has congratulated Martin Amidu on his appointment as the country's foremost Special Prosecutor at the newly created office of the Independent Prosecutor.
Applauding President Akufo-Addo who he said “couldn’t have made a better choice,” Flt Lt Rawlings was hopeful that Parliament would approve the appointment.
His comment follows President Akufo-Addo’s nomination of citizen vigilante, Mr Amidu as the Special Prosecutor.
Quoting the law that set up the office, Thursday, the President said he has accepted the choice of the Attorney General and will present to Parliament, the name of Mr Amidu for consideration.
At a brief ceremony to make the announcement at the Flagstaff House, President Akufo-Addo commended the public spiritedness of the man widely acclaimed as an anti-corruption crusader, a bulwark in the fight against corruption.
Reacting to the news former President Rawlings said “the president by this appointment has risen above partisanship and recognized a highly principled citizen.
“Mr. Amidu has proven to be a fearless anti-corruption crusader whose pursuit of truth and justice has won him national admiration," he added.
He called on all Ghanaians to offer the appointee the required support and information "in pursuit of what will undoubtedly be a challenging role.”
Flt Lt Rawlings also urged Ghanaians to pray for God’s guidance and strength for the former Attorney General as he works to restore the wheels of justice.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Undercover investigator killing: Gov't charges police to speed up investigations
- NDC agrees to revise presidential primaries guidelines
- Video: NDC, NPP lock horns over Menzgold
- NDC diverted 100 vehicles meant for Education Ministry for party activities
- Gov’t should have objected to NAM1 sponsoring Ghana Premier League - NDC
- Gov't endorsement of NAM1 enhanced his credibility - NDC
- Mahama, wife don’t have investments with Menzgold - Joyce Bawah
- NDC postpones flagbearer election
- Help us end chieftaincy disputes – Ga Traditional Council pleads with Akufo-Addo
- NDC MPs supporting Mahama out of gratitude - Bagbin
- NAM 1 arrest: More questions than answers
- Ablakwa wants bi-partisan parliamentary inquiry into Menzgold saga
- Out of court settlement agreed in injunction on NDC presidential primaries
- Alabi celebrates Victor Gbeho, Dzirasah on his campaign trail
- Chiefs begin process to formulate dev't agenda for Bono East Region