A former Commission on Human Rights and Administrative Justice (CHRAJ) boss has expressed surprise at the appointment of anti-corruption crusader Martin Amidu as the Special Prosecutor (SP) nominee.
In a race that had many governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) members mentioned as possible SP candidates, Justice Emile Short said he least expected the president to settle on the former Attorney-General.
He told Evans Mensah on Joy FM’s Top Story Thursday the National Democratic Congress (NDC) member is fit for the job because he has demonstrated beyond all doubt that he is independently minded.
“He is a serious anti-corruption crusader…I know him…and he should be acceptable by all shades of opinion,” he said.
President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has sparked a national debate after he announced a controversial card-bearing NDC member as the Special Prosecutor nominee.
The announcement was in line with section 13(3) of the Special Prosecutor Act, 2018 (Act 663) that enjoins the Attorney-General to nominate an individual who is fit to lead the Office.
Triggering that provision, A-G Gloria Akuffo wrote to the president, nominating Mr Amidu as the right candidate to lead the public independent prosecution office.
“She addressed [the letter] to me exercising her power of nomination…[and] I have accepted the A-G’s nomination,” the president said to plaudits at the Flagstaff House.
Reacting to the announcement, Justice Short said president Akufo-Addo deserves special commendation for the appointment.
“I didn’t see it coming [because] some names came up, people who are close to the NPP [but he settled on] Martin Amidu who has a proven anti-corruption record,” he said.
Eulogising the former A-G, Justice Short said Mr Amidu is an objective legal practitioner who attempts to demonstrate same in his line of work.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Politicians are like prostitutes claiming to be virgins – Man goes wild at business summit
- Mahama presents over 20 vehicles to NDC
- Hot Audio: Even without free SHS you couldn't deliver – Bawumia to Mahama
- Free SHS has been good for North, will be good for all of Ghana – Bawumia
- Asantehene shows gratitude for support over 2 decades
- Otumfuo@20: Lady Julia's love message to Asantehene
- Take out party elements from galamsey fight - Baako advises Akufo-Addo
- Osafo-Maafo must apologise for ‘avoidable gaffe’ – Baako
- Akufo-Addo must fire Snr. Minister for exposing Ghana to global ridicule - Former Minister
- Release MASLOC vehicles to GPRTU drivers – Mahama to gov’t
- Senior Minister’s Office clarifies controversial Aisha Huang comments
- Osafo-Maafo's comment fatal blow to galamsey fight - Ken Ashigbey
- Akufo-Addo urges ‘mobilisation of collective energy, prayers’ in Easter message
- Hot Audio: NDC will abolish luxury vehicles tax- John Mahama
- Queen mother calls for the establishment of National House of Queens