The Member of Parliament for Nadowli Kaleo constituency, Alban Bagbin, has stated that the supporters of former president John Mahama consider him a liability to the party.
The National Democratic Congress (NDC) MP who doubles as the Second Deputy Speaker of Parliament believes some power brokers associated with former President Mahama disregard his views in the party for selfish reasons.
“…my views are being heard but they are not being accepted by some power brokers from former President Mahama’s camp some of whom were unhappy with some early warning signs I gave in 2013…”, he told Joy News’ Gifty Andoh Appiah.
He added that because of the situation, Mahama’s camp sees him as a liability instead of an asset to the party.
“…so instead of them seeing me as an asset they rather see me as a liability”, he stated.
He was speaking on the topic of reorganization and restructuring of the NDC, an activity being undertaken by the party in a bid to recapture power in 2020.
He stated that in his presidential bid, he speaks to all functionaries of the party, "I don’t shy away to correct them or laud them when I hear them speak on issues on radio or Television" he said.
Responding to the relationship between him and the former president, Mr. Bagbin said they meet and talk at functions but they haven’t had a tete a tete on the issue of restructuring the party.
He however, seemed worried at the posture of Mr. Mahama.
Former President Mahama at a Unity Walk
Mr. Bagbin stated in unequivocal terms that, the former president was the brain behind the perceived unity walks being held by the NDC to make him more popular within the rank and file.
He stated that other Flagbearer aspirants in the NDC were hooted at in the Central Regional capital Cape Coast, at the unity walk.
“…they were hooted at, and some were told in their faces that this is a John Mahama activity and if you want, go and organize yours”, Mr. Bagbin said.
He believes such activities do not augur well for the party.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Ghana Airport Company MD removed
- My exit from BoG escalated activities of Menzgold - Fmr Deputy Governor
- Jasikan hyped as preferred capital for Oti Region
- Undercover investigator killing: Gov't charges police to speed up investigations
- NDC agrees to revise presidential primaries guidelines
- Video: NDC, NPP lock horns over Menzgold
- NDC diverted 100 vehicles meant for Education Ministry for party activities
- Gov’t should have objected to NAM1 sponsoring Ghana Premier League - NDC
- Gov't endorsement of NAM1 enhanced his credibility - NDC
- Mahama, wife don’t have investments with Menzgold - Joyce Bawah
- NDC postpones flagbearer election
- Help us end chieftaincy disputes – Ga Traditional Council pleads with Akufo-Addo
- NDC MPs supporting Mahama out of gratitude - Bagbin
- NAM 1 arrest: More questions than answers
- Ablakwa wants bi-partisan parliamentary inquiry into Menzgold saga