The Member of Parliament for Nadowli Kaleo constituency, Alban Bagbin, has stated that the supporters of former president John Mahama consider him a liability to the party.
The National Democratic Congress (NDC) MP who doubles as the Second Deputy Speaker of Parliament believes some power brokers associated with former President Mahama disregard his views in the party for selfish reasons.
“…my views are being heard but they are not being accepted by some power brokers from former President Mahama’s camp some of whom were unhappy with some early warning signs I gave in 2013…”, he told Joy News’ Gifty Andoh Appiah.
He added that because of the situation, Mahama’s camp sees him as a liability instead of an asset to the party.
“…so instead of them seeing me as an asset they rather see me as a liability”, he stated.
He was speaking on the topic of reorganization and restructuring of the NDC, an activity being undertaken by the party in a bid to recapture power in 2020.
He stated that in his presidential bid, he speaks to all functionaries of the party, "I don’t shy away to correct them or laud them when I hear them speak on issues on radio or Television" he said.
Responding to the relationship between him and the former president, Mr. Bagbin said they meet and talk at functions but they haven’t had a tete a tete on the issue of restructuring the party.
He however, seemed worried at the posture of Mr. Mahama.
Former President Mahama at a Unity Walk
Mr. Bagbin stated in unequivocal terms that, the former president was the brain behind the perceived unity walks being held by the NDC to make him more popular within the rank and file.
He stated that other Flagbearer aspirants in the NDC were hooted at in the Central Regional capital Cape Coast, at the unity walk.
“…they were hooted at, and some were told in their faces that this is a John Mahama activity and if you want, go and organize yours”, Mr. Bagbin said.
He believes such activities do not augur well for the party.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Politicians are like prostitutes claiming to be virgins – Man goes wild at business summit
- Mahama presents over 20 vehicles to NDC
- Hot Audio: Even without free SHS you couldn't deliver – Bawumia to Mahama
- Free SHS has been good for North, will be good for all of Ghana – Bawumia
- Asantehene shows gratitude for support over 2 decades
- Otumfuo@20: Lady Julia's love message to Asantehene
- Take out party elements from galamsey fight - Baako advises Akufo-Addo
- Osafo-Maafo must apologise for ‘avoidable gaffe’ – Baako
- Akufo-Addo must fire Snr. Minister for exposing Ghana to global ridicule - Former Minister
- Release MASLOC vehicles to GPRTU drivers – Mahama to gov’t
- Senior Minister’s Office clarifies controversial Aisha Huang comments
- Osafo-Maafo's comment fatal blow to galamsey fight - Ken Ashigbey
- Akufo-Addo urges ‘mobilisation of collective energy, prayers’ in Easter message
- Hot Audio: NDC will abolish luxury vehicles tax- John Mahama
- Queen mother calls for the establishment of National House of Queens