The Paramount Chief of Gbi Traditional State in the Hohoe Municipality of the Volta Region, Togbega Gabusu VI, has asked the government not to split his kingdom and traditional areas in the process of creating a new region out of the existing Volta Region.
Togbega Gabusu who spoke with Joy News in an exclusive interview after a media briefing said the move to create a new region is welcomed by him and the people of Gbi traditional area but care must be taken not to split areas bonded by history.
"We are happy about the creation of the region but we don't want the Hohoe and Gbi traditional areas to be split in the process,“ he said.
According to him, creating a new region means more development to the northern part of the Volta Region which is behind in development, but it must be done well in order not to bring division among the people.
“We don't want the creation of the region to affect our traditional areas in any way," Togbega emphasised.
The Gbi State in the Hohoe Municipality consists of nine traditional areas presided over by Togbega Gabusu VI.
There are indications that four out of the nine traditional areas -- Lolobi, Santro Kofi, Likpe and Akpafu – will leave Togbega’s jurisdiction as they will come under the proposed Oti Region.
Togbega Gabusu advised that attempts to take any of the traditional areas from his jurisdiction might not inure to the benefit and the development of the Hohoe Municipality.
The Divisional Chief of Gbi Abansi, Togbe Adzima V also pleaded with the commission to make sure that the Hohoe municipality is intact no matter where it stands in the creation of the new region.
The Commission set up by the President to examine petitions on the possible creation of new regions last week was in the region to seek views from the people of the region for a smooth process.
The government says splitting of the regions will accelerate development although some residents in the affected regions are not happy about the creations and have raised concerns.
During the 2016 campaign, President Nana Akufo-Addo promised petitioners that some regions would be split to enhance development.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- 'I have nothing to hide' - Former BoG Governor braces for possible prosecution
- Arrest Kennedy Agyapong now! - Minority charge
- Nam1 trip waste of taxpayers’ money – Apaak
- Supreme Court suspends ruling on disputed Woyome-UT bank properties
- Ghana’s development under Akufo-Addo impressive – Madagascar President
- NDC would not abolish the free SHS policy – Mahama
- Ahmed's killing cannot end like others - Rawlings condemns “reckless” Agyapong
- Murdered investigator: No reason to narrow probe to Agyapong – Ken Attafuah
- Akufo-Addo, Mahama congratulate Ya Naa -elect
- Yaa Naa’s funeral ends with prayers for harmony
- Referendum and district elections slated for Sept
- Ghana Airport Company MD removed
- My exit from BoG escalated activities of Menzgold - Fmr Deputy Governor
- Undercover investigator killing: Gov't charges police to speed up investigations
- NDC agrees to revise presidential primaries guidelines