Former Deputy General Secretary of the New Patriotic Party, Nana Obiri Boahen is asking critics of NPP Chairman Freddy Blay’s purchase of buses for the party to “go and burn the sea”.
Mr Blay unveiled the first batch of some 275 buses as part of a controversial scheme to supply each constituency of the party with a mini bus.
The gesture, made ahead of the NPP’s National Executive elections in Koforidua, has attracted criticism from political actors and civil society groups.
But speaking to Kofi Asante Ennin on Nhyira FM’s Kuro Yi Mu Nsem Thursday, Mr Obiri Boahen said the critics can go burn the sea.
"I don't want to be seen to be insulting. I don't want to be seen as abusive. But for those who are not satisfied with the development, have they seen the sea, they should get petrol and go and burn the sea."
Freddy Blay’s bus scheme has been widely described as vote buying with some describing it as an attempt to undermine the country's democratic gains.
One of the founding fathers of the NPP, Dr. Nyaho Nyaho Tamakloe who remains an avowed critic of the ruling party said he would not recognize Mr. Blay as chairman of the party, describing him as an imposter.
Obiri Boahen had some harsh words for the suspended leading NPP member.
He said Dr Nyahoe-Tamakloe " did a lot of worse things against the NPP. He spoke ill of Nana Addo; he was emphatic Nana will never be president. I was even charitable with the choice of words. Yes, I should have gone the extra mile."
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- NDC decides: Asiedu Nketia cruises to victory
- 2019 budget will create more jobs for the youth
- Video: NDC explains dragged National Executive elections
- Video: NDC delegates have regretted voting me out - Boateng Gyan boasts
- Video: Nduom’s party “ready for strategic partnership in 2020”
- Video: This is the "worst" NDC congress - Angry delegate declares
- NDC decides: The ‘big 3’ who have bowed out
- Asiedu Nketia's days as overlord are over – Allotey Jacobs
- NDC delegates will elect new executives - Spio-Garbrah predicts
- Bawumia, Ofori-Atta need to check meaning of social intervention – Haruna jabs
- You’re either a witch or wizard if you don’t support Mahama – Allotey Jacobs
- Photos: NDC delegates elect new executives
- NDC delegates involved in car crash
- Mahama criticises govt's 'inept' handling of banking crisis
- Take your own advice – Rawlings tells NDC leaders