Efforts at encouraging strong women representation in active politics received a major boost as nine women filed their forms to contest for various positions in the National Democratic Congress (NDC) in the Central Region.
Seven out of the number were candidates contesting the election for the first time with two incumbent women seeking re-election.
In all, 62 candidates have put themselves up for the party's internal poll as at the end of filling on Tuesday, July 24, 2018.
The Regional Executive Committee (REC) would meet on Monday, July 30, 2018 to set a date for vetting.
Mr Sampson Ahianyo, Regional Secretary in an interview said the proportion of women in the elections was not any better with just nine of them among the 62 aspiring candidates.
He urged more women to contest in subsequent elections to increase female participation in governance and leadership positions saying "they muster courage and confidence to get themselves elected, instead of sitting on the fringes."
He praised the aspiring candidates for exhibiting a high level of discipline and orderliness devoid of rancour, acrimony and political machinations that could have destroyed the party.
Contesting the Chairmanship slot are Aquinas Quansah, Former Regional Minister, Kakra Yalley, and Lawyer E.K.T. Addo; while Theophilus Aidoo Mensah, Stephen Edward Moore, Abeiku Aggrey, Lawrence Lamptey, Alfred Halm and Lawyer Daniel Ohene Darkoh vie for Vice Chairmanship position.
Aspiring candidates for the Secretary position are Elvis Christian Amoasa, Kojo Quansah, Henry Kweku Hayfron, George Ebo Crentsil and Gabriel Nii Kommey Adams as Eric Offei and Kofi Mathew battle it out for the Deputy Secretary slot.
Others are Mr Justice Boison, Derrick Mbir, Eric Essuah and Veronica Essuman Nelson for the Treasure position as Zakaria Salifu, Samuel Oheneba Quaison, Benjamin Ewusi Afful, Victoria Pobee-Woode, Kwame Sam, Peter Yaw Affum, Charlotte Tobiah and Theodore Yankah gears for Deputy Treasure.
The Regional Organizer is being contested between Michael Mwinbe Derry and Peter Kofi Owusu Ashia and Deputies in contention include Kojo, Peter Essel, Nana Yaw Payne, Paul Powell Aboagye, Kofi Adzra, Nana Oseibi, Quansah Simon Duodo, Atta Mensah and Archimedes Avornu.
The fiercest competition has emerged for the Regional Communications Director two of the contenders, Mr Afenyi Donkor and Mr Ambrose Amoah-Ahiyiah are staunch media practitioners in the Region.
Mr Kwesi Dawood the incumbent is seeking re-election while Emmanuel Kweku Arkoh Yeboah and Lawrence Kwesi Ghartey campaigned for the Deputy Communications Director respectively.
The Regional Women Organizer position is no exception as Sistiana Ekuwa Swanzy, the incumbent and Faustina N. L. Lamptey sway delegates to their side while Evelyn A. Adu, Judith Sam, Esther Sam and Ophelia Amoah intensified engagements for Deputy Women Organizer position.
With the vision to regain the lost Zongo communities in election 2016, campaigns have been heightened among various aspiring candidates for the Zongo Cacus as Alhaj Rashid Abubakar, Hudu Abdul Mumin, Mohammed Muftau and Abdulai Amo reach out to delegates to sway them to their side.
Regarded as the engine of any political party, more Youth have opted themselves to revive the rank and file of the youth with various innovative ideas and programmes to endear the youth to the party.
In contention for the Regional Youth Organizer are Awal Mohammed, Eric Dadson and Ishmael Prah while Amos Ansah, Nurudeen Migyimah, Francis Asmah, Bright Botchway, Joseph Mensah Abakah and Anthony Acquah gears up for Deputy Regional Youth Organizer.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Gov’t says drop in inflation, fuel prices sign of better days ahead
- Akufo-Addo removes Justice Dery, two other high court judges from office
- NDC flagbearer race: Goosie Tanoh will get full backing if he wins - Asiedu Nketiah
- Reversion to 'original' logo cost less than GHS16,000 – EC boss
- Mahama will be easier to beat in 2020 - Nana Akomea projects
- Sylvester Mensah is intellectually fit for the presidency - NDC Chairman supports
- I'll continue Mills' policy of building party offices - Alabi
- I'll accelerate development if...Sly Mensah pledges
- Work hard, bring NDC back; Sly Mensah to delegates in Eastern Region
- I won't fail you; Prof Alabi tells Ashanti NDC
- "Reduce it again" - 6 NDC presidential aspirants turn Oliver Twist
- Bye-election: 'Unifying' NPP candidate emerges at Ayawaso West Wuogon
- NDC Primaries: Alabi files nomination Monday
- Yellow for Yes, brown for No – EC on new regions referendum
- August 4 soon to be Public Holiday if...