Greater Accra member of Council of State has advised young parliamentarians to learn at the feet of older members who have served long terms in the House.
In his address as a special guest of honour at the Young Parliamentarians Forum (YPF), Dr Nii Kotei Dzani told young MPs to be willing and ready to improve every day.
He told them to also take advantage of the mentorship opportunities available to them by associating with senior members.
The Groupe Ideal President said this last Wednesday at the inauguration of the Forum in the Speaker’s Lounge at the Parliament in Accra.
“The destiny of Ghana is in our hands, we must learn from those who have gone ahead of us, tap into their knowledge and don’t be in a hurry to kick them out so that you can take over,” he said.
Mr Kotei Dzani disclosed that “the Board chairman of my company is 78 years old. I am blessed to have him by my side because he is an embodiment of wisdom and I learn from him every day.”
Dr Nii Kotei Dzani
For his part the Speaker of Parliament, Professor Mike Ocquaye encouraged the YPF to submit themselves to “allow themselves to be mentored and trained, as being ‘too known’ is not a good thing.”
He also pledged his support to the Forum saying, “the future belongs to young people’’. There is no alternative to this, not having the youth is for the future to perish," he said.
Prof Ocquaye added that "I will support YPF, we will find resources both home and abroad to ensure that this Forum succeeds."
The Young Parliamentarians Forum (YPF) is a new non-partisan union of Parliament to further the agenda of young people in Parliament. The 2016 general election saw a substantial change in the country's governance.
The new parliament, the 7th in the 4th Republic, is made up of relatively younger legislators.
Also in attendance was the first deputy Speaker; Joseph Osei Owusu, Minority Leader, Haruna Iddrisu, Clerk to parliament, Emmanuel Anyimadu, Dep. Majority Leader, Adjoa Safo and other members of the House.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Let's protect our peace by rejecting vigilantism - Methodist Bishop
- Make U/W 'everlasting stronghold' for NPP - Minister to NPP
- CID boss’ conduct ‘indefensible’ - Kasser-Tee fires
- Free SHS is most people-centered policy in Ghanaian history - Yagaba Chief
- Agalga responds to arms importation controversy; says gov’t being dishonest
- No space for conflicts; end the violence now – Akufo-Addo to ‘Chereponis'
- EIU report: NDC rubbishes 2020 victory prediction for NPP
- NDC issued permit for arms importation 2 days before leaving office - Gov’t reveals
- Nayiri lauds Akufo-Addo’s intervention in roads sector
- Philanthropist to industrialise Mfantseman constituency
- We’ve cleared arrears - Health Minister on trainee allowances
- DCEs abandon terrorism meeting; minister outraged
- Ghanaians angry with NPP, NDC – JOY restrategises for 2020 victory
- EIU predicts 2020 victory for Akufo-Addo
- Gov’t urged to consult broadly on Nima regeneration project