Out of 106 National Democratic Congress (NDC) Members of Parliament, 94 has endorsed former President John Mahama as their preferred candidate for the party’s flagbearership race.
The decision, according to MP for Bulsa South, Dr Clement Apaak, is because Mr Mahama is the best bet for the NDC ahead of the 2020 general elections.
These MPs have since formed a group called MPS4JM (Members of Parliament for John Mahama) with full support from their constituents
Speaking on Asempa FM’s Ekosii Sen programme Tuesday, Dr Apaak claimed it would be politically suicidal for any NDC MP not to endorse John Mahama who is the preferred candidate for many grassroots members.
Citing himself as an example, he said his constituents warned him to either endorse Mahama or kiss his political career goodbye.
“My constituents told me that if you are going to re-contest, then you must do so with your father otherwise forget”, he stressed.
To demonstrate their commitment, Dr Apaak said they have levied themselves a one-time bulk amount in addition to a monthly contribution which is paid into an account solely opened for the cause.
Meanwhile, former President John Mahama is yet to declare his intention to contest for the flagbearership slot.
But already he faces stiff competition from former Minister of Trade, Dr Ekwow Spio-Garbrah; Second Deputy Speaker of Parliament, Alban Bagbin; former Rector of UPSA, Prof Joshua Alabi and former NHIS Boss, Sylvester Mensah.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Special Prosecutor begins prosecution of Ayariga
- CI to track source of political party funding in the offing - EC reveals
- Ghanaian voters' biometric data completely controlled by foreigners – EC laments
- I couldn’t rig elections even if my father was running – EC Chair
- Akufo-Addo extols Parliament for its 'courage' in passing RTI
- Update: Akufo-Addo assents to RTI law
- CODEO wants chiefs to galvanise support for district level elections
- ‘Ghanaians feel insecure’ – Mahama wants gov't action
- Gov't won't be swayed by EIU's election 2020 victory report - Oppong Nkrumah
- Yapei chief commends Akufo-Addo for tackling water problem
- Gov’t records four-fold increase in revenue in piloted cashless system
- Appointment of Ambassador-at-large ‘killing’ PNC - Mornah
- Savannah Region will soon catch up with others - Akufo-Addo assures
- President ends tour of new regions
- Let's protect our peace by rejecting vigilantism - Methodist Bishop