Out of 106 National Democratic Congress (NDC) Members of Parliament, 94 has endorsed former President John Mahama as their preferred candidate for the party’s flagbearership race.
The decision, according to MP for Bulsa South, Dr Clement Apaak, is because Mr Mahama is the best bet for the NDC ahead of the 2020 general elections.
These MPs have since formed a group called MPS4JM (Members of Parliament for John Mahama) with full support from their constituents
Speaking on Asempa FM’s Ekosii Sen programme Tuesday, Dr Apaak claimed it would be politically suicidal for any NDC MP not to endorse John Mahama who is the preferred candidate for many grassroots members.
Citing himself as an example, he said his constituents warned him to either endorse Mahama or kiss his political career goodbye.
“My constituents told me that if you are going to re-contest, then you must do so with your father otherwise forget”, he stressed.
To demonstrate their commitment, Dr Apaak said they have levied themselves a one-time bulk amount in addition to a monthly contribution which is paid into an account solely opened for the cause.
Meanwhile, former President John Mahama is yet to declare his intention to contest for the flagbearership slot.
But already he faces stiff competition from former Minister of Trade, Dr Ekwow Spio-Garbrah; Second Deputy Speaker of Parliament, Alban Bagbin; former Rector of UPSA, Prof Joshua Alabi and former NHIS Boss, Sylvester Mensah.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Castigate not Kwame Owusu – Maritime Authority workers defend ex-boss
- Freddie Blay hosts NPP loyal ladies at his residence
- NDC chairman leaves post to contest Keta seat
- Rise in political propaganda disturbing – Youth activist
- Tension as angry Ashanti Region NDC supporters storm party office
- Limited Voters Registration exercise fraught with massive challenges – NDC
- We did no wrong awarding contract to David Adjaye – Parliament
- Luxury vehicle tax inefficient, scrap it in budget review - Minority
- Rawlings on 3-day working visit to Burkina Faso
- Curb your voracious appetite for borrowing – Minority to gov’t
- Gov’t to probe Sir Adjaye's multiple contracts allegations
- Strengthen Ghana’s democratic credentials with ROPAA - Ambassador to EC
- C/R: NPP constituency executives demonstrate against Chairman
- Another police officer resigns to contest for parliamentary seat
- Parliament approves €276m facility for Tamale water project