The Assin Central Member of Parliament, Kennedy Agyapong, has been dragged before the Privileges Committee of Parliament for describing the Legislature as useless.
The Minority caucus describe the attitude as one which is unbecoming of the controversial MP, saying his comment in the media repeatedly brings the name of Parliament into disrepute.
Chief Whip, Muntaka Mubarack says the Minority now has evidence that Mr Agyapong called Parliament ‘useless’ and he will push for him to be dragged before the Privileges Committee.
“He said on his own network and called Parliament foolish, in Twi [Akan]. We can’t sit and allow a Member of Parliament to do that.
“He has crossed the line, I am going to raise it, he must be referred to the privileges and he must be brought to book,” Mr Mubarak added in an earlier interview with Joy News’ Joseph Opoku Gapko.
Joseph, however, reports that the MP has moved a motion for his colleague to be dragged before the Privileges Committee, Wednesday afternoon.
He moved the motion for “Our honourable colleague to be referred to be the Committee on the basis of his conduct and utterances against this house, the Majority leader and against many well-meaning Ghanaians.”
His motion was backed by MP for Tamale Central, Inusah Fuseini who said Mr Agyapong cannot be allowed to continue with his unspeakable attitude.
“To say that this is a foolish parliament including you, Mr Speaker, is to say that the people who have elected us are foolish people and I don’t think the people who elected Kennedy Agyapong are foolish people.”
Majority Chief Whip, Ameyaw Kyeremeh supported the motion.
He said it was necessary for the Privileges Committee to delve into the matter to establish the truth or otherwise of the allegation.
“But we are not proceeding on the assumption that he is guilty, until the outcome of the investigation. Mr Speaker I support the call, it is always important for all of us to get the opportunity to clear our names when we are cited,” Mr Kyeremeh added.
Mr Agyapong has been on a warpath with investigative journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas, since he announced his latest piece, ‘When Greed and Corruption Become the Norm’, popularly referred to as #Number 12
According to Kennedy Agyapong, Anas’ method of investigation is wrong because he lures his victims into a trap.
He also accused Anas of being corrupt. He has vowed to unmask Anas and has even shared some photos of a man he claimed is Anas.
In his view, Anas sets his victims up to take bribes with the aim to destroy their reputation.
He also claimed to have evidence to show that some Parliamentarians including Majority Leader, Osei Kyei-mensah Bonsu, engaged in corrupt acts, adding that if he is dared, he’ll make them public.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Govt can’t sack CEOs – Supreme Court declares
- Minority Leader urges EC to publish registered voters daily
- Despite Group affiliate apologises to Ibrahim Mahama
- EPA works to promote inter-institutional coordination
- Volta NDC women, MTN celebrate Rawling's 72nd birthday
- Female representation in Parliament still low – Majority Leader laments
- Video: Africa's problem is leadership - John Maxwell speaks on Joy FM
- Suit challenging legality of Ayawaso West Wuogon by-election dismissed
- District Assembly rejects 2018 League Table after scoring zero
- President peddled false energy debt figures in Canada - Minority
- Female MPs must go unchallenged in NDC primaries - Minority Leader
- Amidu takes responsibility for defects in Ayariga's charge sheet
- Ofosu-Ampofo is being investigated for kidnapping of Indian - NDC
- No sacking over poor performance on District League Table – Minister assures
- Akufo-Addo’s Jamaican Visa waiver comments undermine Parliament – Ablakwa