The Ashanti Regional Chapter of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) has charged the president to focus on dealing with corruption allegations in his government and not witch-hunt political opponents.
In a statement, the Regional Secretary, Raymond Tandoh, said the party is not surprised at the charges of causing financial loss to the state brought against the former Ghana Cocoa Board (COCOBOD) CEO, Dr Stephen Opuni.
He is even more surprised that government finds no need to deal with corruption allegations destroying its public integrity and credibility but rather goes out of its way to persecute political opponents.
"While we are not surprised by this development, we are appalled by the exceptional determination of the government to destroy the reputation of a man who has laboured to transform the cocoa sector in Ghana.
"We believe Dr Stephen Opuni is a victim of a growing political culture of hounding predecessors to justify campaign claims of corruption," he added.
The Ashanti Regional chapter said it is confident Dr Opuni "will be exonerated eventually knowing his meticulousness and genuine commitment to the development of Ghana."
Below is the press release.
NATIONAL DEMOCRATIC CONGRESS
ASHANTI REGIONAL CHAPTER
We have taken note of the commencement of persecution of Dr Stephen Opuni and others by government. We have learnt some 27 charges have been preferred against him and would be called on Friday, March 23, 2018, at the High Court.
While we are not surprised by this development, we are appalled by the exceptional determination of government to destroy the reputation of a man who has laboured to transform the cocoa sector in Ghana.
We believe Dr Stephen Opuni is a victim of a growing political culture of hounding predecessors to justify campaign claims of corruption.
It is worrying that at a time corruption allegations are rife in every sector of this government, government finds no need to deal with these allegations that are destroying its public integrity and credibility.
Sadly, government has resorted to political witch hunting, vindictiveness and mirage pursuits that would not survive any serious test.
We are confident Dr Stephen Opuni will be exonerated eventually knowing his meticulousness and genuine commitment to the development of Ghana.
The Ashanti Regional Chapter of the NDC hereby declares its unflinching support for Dr Stephen Opuni and his family in these difficult times of political persecution. We trust in the independence and wisdom of our courts and are hopeful that the outcome of proceedings would be without political interference.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Sale of state assets bane of cedi - Greenstreet
- Parliament needs punitive measure to check MPs absenteeism - Odekro
- NDC wants Peace Council to choose venue for party militia dialogue
- Photos: NDC elders join family to mourn Kwabena Adjei
- Video: Only 15 MPs show up in parliament
- Cedi depreciation to increase cost of doing business - Minority
- Chief Justice warns saboteurs of E-Justice project
- NPP militia invitation letter: NDC MP says it's good faith, NDC executive says bad faith
- Ato Forson’s 5 questions for Bawumia
- Highlights: Minority on the state of Ghana's economy
- Cedi depreciation: Government must admit failure - Minority
- Adom Otchere was irrelevant to Short Commission – Executive Secretary explains
- New regions will have highest calibre of staff – Local gov’t head
- NDC in fresh haggle with NPP over time, venue for militia meeting
- Militia meeting: NPP finally agrees to NDC's wider participation proposal