Deputy General Secretary of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) Koku Anyidoho is impressed at the treatment he received from personnel at the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) Headquarters and the Bureau of National Investigations (BNI) cells, where he was held for two days.
“The police did their job professionally and I want to congratulate them and thank them; the CID boss, DCOP Maame Tiwaa Addo-Dankwa and her people. At least Ghana is working,” Koku Anyidoho exclusively told JoyNews in his home Thursday, after he was released on bail.
The outspoken politician until Thursday had been in the custody the police following his arrest over “treasonable” comments he made on a radio discussion, Monday night.
He was picked by plain-clothed officers from the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) in midst of a news conference by the Ghana First Patriotic Front ahead of Wednesday demonstration against the military cooperation deal between Ghana and the US.
Speaking to JoyNews after his release from the BNI cells on Thursday, March 29, 2018, the former presidential spokesperson under the late Prof. John Evans Atta Mills administration stated: “It was an interesting experience, but let me say for the records I was not manhandled at any point in time; not by the CID or the BNI.”
Koky Anyidoho is expected to report to the police on Tuesday but a member of his legal team, Rockson Dafeamekpor, is hopeful the state is likely to drop the charge of treason proffered against his party leader.
“From experience, you will see that if a matter is prosecutable, you will see how the police will go about it,” Mr. Dafeamekpor told JoyNews' Joseph Ackah Blay.
Watch the video:
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Foreign Minister denies WhatsApp screenshots in Norway deal
- MP wants Finance minister 'blackmailed' over low budgetary allocation
- Atubiga backs out to back Mahama for 2020 NDC flagbearer
- $12m Norway building scandal: Minority demands presidential probe
- Injunction hits NDC presidential primaries
- Nurideen Iddrisu files nomination to lead NDC
- Photos: Samira Bawumia honoured by Adventist Church in Kumasi
- Double track system causing teenage pregnancies – Ofosu Ampofo
- Mahama in Abuja for ICT confab on Africa's electoral systems
- Foreign Minister tantrums: "She could have done better” - NPP MP
- Mahama scheming to rig NDC presidential primaries – NPP claims
- Okudzeto presents allegations of inflated embassy building in Norway
- Video: Heated exchanges as Minister confronts Okudzeto over $12m inflated purchase
- Any favoured NDC presidential aspirant is a weak candidate – Prof. Alabi
- Medical drones saga: Get your priorities right, don’t copy blindly - Mahama