Delegates of the opposition National Democratic Party have rewarded long service and loyalty to the party by voting massively for Samuel Ofosu Ampofo as the new chairman and retaining Johnson Asiedu Nketiah as General Secretary for the third successive time.
After almost 18 hours of voting, sorting and counting, Ampofo, the former Branch chairman of the party who rose to become a Member of Parliament and a Local Government Minister garnered 3656 votes ahead of his closest contender Dan Abodakpi who polled 2,199 votes. Alhaji Hudu Yahya who had previously tasted national executive position as General Secretary failed in his bid to win the chairmanship slot. He polled 1823.
Betty Mould Iddrisu, the only woman who contested the chairmanship slot was consoled with 355 votes with Danny Annang, a financier of the party also failing to cross the 500 vote mark, with a paltry 309.
It was meant to be the biggest electoral battle of his life but in the end, Johnson Asiedu Nketia strolled yet again to an easy electoral victory with some 6,642 delegates finding favour with him, far more than they did with his Deputy Koku Anyidoho.
Koku polled 1,625 in his bold but failed electoral ‘coup d’etat’ against his former boss.
9,000 delegates across the country besieged the Fantasy Dome at the Trade Fair Center in Accra, Saturday morning to elect new breed of executives to lead the party for the next four years.
It was the biggest number of delegates in the party’s history to be given the opportunity to elect new executives but the delegates, just like journalists did not anticipate a marathon Congress.
After almost 36 hours of Congress, the chips fell in their rightful places and every candidate knew his or her level beginning 5:00pm Sunday.
A total of 65 aspirants contested different positions in what will be a new look NDC ahead of the 2020 elections.
Attached is the full list of winners provisionally declared so far.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Ghana Airport Company MD removed
- My exit from BoG escalated activities of Menzgold - Fmr Deputy Governor
- Jasikan hyped as preferred capital for Oti Region
- Undercover investigator killing: Gov't charges police to speed up investigations
- NDC agrees to revise presidential primaries guidelines
- Video: NDC, NPP lock horns over Menzgold
- NDC diverted 100 vehicles meant for Education Ministry for party activities
- Gov’t should have objected to NAM1 sponsoring Ghana Premier League - NDC
- Gov't endorsement of NAM1 enhanced his credibility - NDC
- Mahama, wife don’t have investments with Menzgold - Joyce Bawah
- NDC postpones flagbearer election
- Help us end chieftaincy disputes – Ga Traditional Council pleads with Akufo-Addo
- NDC MPs supporting Mahama out of gratitude - Bagbin
- NAM 1 arrest: More questions than answers
- Ablakwa wants bi-partisan parliamentary inquiry into Menzgold saga