One of the flagbearer hopefuls of National Democratic Congress (NDC), Goosie Tanoh, recently spent 10-days campaigning vigorously within the three regions of the north, in an attempt to convince delegates to buy into his message and secure their votes.
Goosie Tanoh began his campaign tour up north in the Upper West region with a visit to places such as Wa central and Wa west, Damfia Bussie Issa, Nadowli- Kaleo, Nandom, Lambussie, Sissala East and Sissala West, Jirapa, Lawra and also met with TEIN-NDC in Wa as well as interacted with chiefs, party elders, regional executives of the party.
He also visited areas considered battle ground constituencies in the Upper East region such as Yagba-Kubori, Bulsa south and Bulsa North, Navrongo Central, Chiana-Paga, Bolga East and West, Talensi, Bawku Central, Binduri, Garu and Temapane among others.
The opposition NDC is scheduled to conduct elections possibly early 2019 for its vacant position of the Flagbearer slot ahead of Ghana’s presidential and parliamentary elections to be held in the year 2020. Some 13 aspirants race with time chancing over 300, 000 delegates across the country to solicit for votes ahead of the presidential primaries elections.
The Goosie Tanoh campaign team spearheaded by an NDC progressive group called “Organising for Ghana” also stormed Northern Regional capital Tamale, where the team visited Tamale Central, South and North as well as Sagnarigu constituencies.
Goosie Tanoh’s personal popularity in the three northern regions is not in question as many party activists testified about their working experience with the man who is remembered for breaking away from the NDC at some point in order to according to him force the party to reform.
There was an overwhelming show of support and love by delegates in all places Mr. Tanoh and his entourage visited, delegates from villages, towns and communities came out in their numbers to welcome him.
He was hailed by branch executives of the party, chiefs, cadres, regional and constituency executives openly endorsed his candidature, pledging allegiance to campaign day and night for Goosie Tanoh with their own resources.
Throughout his engagements, delegates assured Mr. Goosie Tanoh of victory as they were prepared to ”change the NDC 2016 driver” who drove the party into a ditch by sending the NDC into opposition after winning 2008 and 2012 presidential elections.
Hundreds of delegates up north declared their readiness to vote massively for Goosie Tanoh to be the next presidential candidate for the NDC party.
“When J.J. Rawlings was in power, Goosie Tanoh worked hard for the party so all of us (delegates) at Sagnarigu constituency have unanimously decided to vote for Goosie Tanoh,” Alhaji Zackaria Abdullah, constituency chairman for Sagnarigu had said.
Goosie Tanoh on his part begged delegates to give him a chance to lead the party to provide the new leadership style many supporters of the party and Ghanaian are yearning for.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Gov’t to write to diplomats over ‘false’ Mahama videos
- New regions won’t add to your legacy – Bentil tells prez to prioritise infrastructure dev’t
- Veep reiterates gov’t’s resolve to improve Zongos
- Governance expert pushes for law on selection of regional capitals
- Mahama urged to submit his evidence to Emile Short Commission
- Hot Video: Joy News Editorial: Short Commission - Same questions, different responses
- Parliament summons Interior Minister over recent children assaults
- Mahama's election bid hit with suit
- Suhuyini accuses Speaker of unfair treatment
- #GhanaConnect: Citizens ‘scared’ by witnesses’ accounts at Short C’ssion
- Mahama acted appropriately, deal with NPP thugs - Osafo Maafo told
- Dambai is capital of new Oti region
- Brong Ahafo to be known as Bono Region
- Sefwi Wiaso is capital of Western North region
- Joint CDD-Ghana, CODEO delegation in Nigeria