The government has directed National Security to investigate alleged threats by some youth to blow up oil facilities in the Western Region.
The former Energy Minister Boakye Agyarko had alleged during agitations against the Ghana-US Military Cooperation deal earlier this year, of a plot to blow up oil facilities in the region if government goes through with the deal.
According to Mr Agyarko, some disgruntled politicians had engaged the youth of the area to cause disaffection for the operators of the oilfields, similar to what happens in other jurisdictions like Nigeria.
Former Energy Minister, Boakye Agyarko
He made these statements in Houston, Texas, USA, at a meeting with some oil companies on the side-lines of the Offshore Technology Conference (OTC).
The Minister was unable to name the so-called politicians who were instigating the youth before he left office.
But the Minority is still demanding answers regardless. They want to know who the youth are and they want the politicians the former minister referred to, revealed.
They have already said that if Mr Agyarko’s allegations are left unsubstantiated, it will go down in history “as the most reckless, unpatriotic, self-destructive and treacherous statements ever made by a Cabinet Minister against Ghana’s economic progress and national interest.”
However, in Parliament on Thursday, as Joy News’ Joseph Opoku Gakpo reports, a former Energy Minister under the John Mahama administration, Emmanuel Buah, questioned what was being done to avert the situation if indeed it was true.
The Energy Minister, Peter Amewu in his response said the Ministry was aware of the situation and steps are being taken to address it.
“Mr Speaker owing to the sensitivities surrounding this very important matter and taking into consideration its national security implication, the Ministry of Energy as part of its strategies for remedial actions, is liaising with the National Security Secretariat for a coordinated effort in dealing with the matter effectively and efficiently.
“We shall revert to this august House with a full briefing on this matter once our investigations are concluded,” he added.
The House has agreed to wait for a proper briefing from the Minister.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Akufo-Addo must fire Snr. Minister for exposing Ghana to global ridicule - Former Minister
- Release MASLOC vehicles to GPRTU drivers – Mahama to gov’t
- Senior Minister’s Office clarifies controversial Aisha Huang comments
- Osafo-Maafo's comment fatal blow to galamsey fight - Ken Ashigbey
- Akufo-Addo urges ‘mobilisation of collective energy, prayers’ in Easter message
- Hot Audio: NDC will abolish luxury vehicles tax- John Mahama
- Queen mother calls for the establishment of National House of Queens
- Dust not settled on approved Bono Regional Minister – Minority hints
- NDC kicks against ‘online’ registration of new voters
- Videos of alleged irregularities in referendum fake -EC
- NDC is being disingenuous with NHIS collapsing claims - Dep. Minister
- CPDA to launch maiden Vice Presidential Permutations Forum
- Produce evidence of cancelled power agreements – Jinapor to Gabby, NPP
- Back off! Minority to gov’t over planned privatisation of airport management
- Ofosu Ampofo, Kwaku Boahen granted ¢100K bail over criminal charge