A National Democratic Congress (NDC) group says it is in support of the party’s call for an independent inquiry into President Akufo-Addo’s involvement in Anas’ “Number 12” documentary.
Professionals Forum International said they may head to Commission on Human Right and Administrative Justice (CHRAJ) over the President action if any which has seen football governing body FIFA slapping a lifetime ban on ex-Ghana FA President Kwesi Nyantakyi.
The opposition party in a statement wants the President to "open himself up for transparent and credible investigations by an independent body" to clear his name in the bribery scandal unearthed in the video screened nationwide.
Head of the Forum, Arnold Appiah, speaking on the ranging scandal from his US base, has hinted the group may be forced to seek the involvement of the CHRAJ to clean the mess around the presidency.
Mr. Nyantakyi was caught on video implicating the President Nana Akufo-Addo in a bribe collection syndicate at the Presidency.
The former football mogul was seen in the said tape, arranging for the payment of $ 5 million to the President and similar amounts for several top Ghana government officials, in order to facilitate the award of juicy contracts to supposed investors.
Mr. Nyantakyi also suggested in the said video, that such acts have made the President amenable to his influence.
Mr. Appiah believes the scandal at the presidency is a setback to woo investors into the country.
According to him, this and many actions of the Akufo Addo-led government is derailing the gains made by the NDC in the development of the country when it took power from Ex-President Kufour.
The think tank within the opposition party is also asking the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) of the Police Service to as a matter of urgency update Ghanaians on the status of investigations into the scandal.
They believe the scandal has tarnished the image and reputation of all Ghanaians.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Ghana Airport Company MD removed
- My exit from BoG escalated activities of Menzgold - Fmr Deputy Governor
- Jasikan hyped as preferred capital for Oti Region
- Undercover investigator killing: Gov't charges police to speed up investigations
- NDC agrees to revise presidential primaries guidelines
- Video: NDC, NPP lock horns over Menzgold
- NDC diverted 100 vehicles meant for Education Ministry for party activities
- Gov’t should have objected to NAM1 sponsoring Ghana Premier League - NDC
- Gov't endorsement of NAM1 enhanced his credibility - NDC
- Mahama, wife don’t have investments with Menzgold - Joyce Bawah
- NDC postpones flagbearer election
- Help us end chieftaincy disputes – Ga Traditional Council pleads with Akufo-Addo
- NDC MPs supporting Mahama out of gratitude - Bagbin
- NAM 1 arrest: More questions than answers
- Ablakwa wants bi-partisan parliamentary inquiry into Menzgold saga