National Democratic Congress flagbearer aspirant, Prof Joshua Alabi has asked his party to form a special committee to manage the conduct of presidential primaries.
Campaign Coordinator for Prof Joshua Alabi, Victor Adawudu who addressed the media in Accra Thursday said the committee will help check an abuse of the election process by candidates.
"We expect that the elected leadership will not allow the process to be hijacked by some persons for their own parochial interests".
One such abuses, he said is the playing of campaign songs of candidates at party events. But he declined to mention names.
But over the week-end, supporters of some aspirants complained that former president John Mahama's campaign messages were played at the congress grounds.
Prof Alabi's campaign team wants the party's National Executive Committee and Council of Elders to consider his idea of an Elections Committee as the race to chose who leads the party into the 2020 elections intensifies.
That election in December 2018 is three months away.
The campaign team said the proposed committee can check any personality attacks and the use of insults not only on aspirants but also on elders of the party.
Victor Adawudu said the NDC leadership needs to foster unity. A representative of each aspirant should be a member of the committee, he explained.
It will also help in relaying information to the aspirants directly instead of relying on the grapevine, Adawudu said.
He reiterated the Alabi campaign team's commitment to fairness.
"It is God who anoints leaders…except the Lord builds a house, they labour in vain that buildeth," he quoted a Christian verse.
The main opposition NDC is one stage away from choosing its flagbearer. It has elected its constituency executives, completed the election of regional executives and expects to elect national executives in October 2018.
The new national executives' immediate task will be organising the flagbearer contest, a field of at least 10 aspirants including former President John Mahama seen as the frontrunner.
John Mahama while president was invited to deliver the keynote address at the 8th Congregation of University of Professional Studies, Accra (UPSA) in August 2016. Prof. Joshua Alabi credited with the university's transformation was the Vice Chancellor.
In April 2018 at the party's Unity Walk, former President John Mahama declared "God will choose the next flagbearer". Joshua Alabi responded later that "God has chosen me already".
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Speaker to name, shame MPs who are always late
- Office of Special Prosecutor: L.I. reaches Parliament – Gov't claims
- Akufo-Addo’s Free SHS policy law plan a joke – Minority
- NDC 'astonished' at President's 'my appointees are clean claim'
- Photo story: Furious Thursday turns to funny Monday at Adentan demo
- Kojo Bonsu pledges to make NDC 'most attractive party'
- ‘It’s long overdue’: MP accuses gov't of feet-dragging over anti-graft law
- Akufo-Addo leaves for a day's visit to Qatar
- NPP Youth Organiser elected IYDU Vice Chair
- Mahama takes campaign tour to Ashanti Region
- Roads Minister cuts sod for the rehabilitation of Axim Nsein Roads
- Develop strong bonds of co-operation – Akufo-Addo tells MPs, MMDCEs
- I respect Akufo-Addo for his values, principles – Rawlings
- I don’t respond to aspirants; I respond to presidential candidates – Akufo-Addo to NDC aspirants
- No monthly allowance for public boards – Finance Minister