National Democratic Congress flagbearer aspirant, Prof Joshua Alabi has asked his party to form a special committee to manage the conduct of presidential primaries.
Campaign Coordinator for Prof Joshua Alabi, Victor Adawudu who addressed the media in Accra Thursday said the committee will help check an abuse of the election process by candidates.
"We expect that the elected leadership will not allow the process to be hijacked by some persons for their own parochial interests".
One such abuses, he said is the playing of campaign songs of candidates at party events. But he declined to mention names.
But over the week-end, supporters of some aspirants complained that former president John Mahama's campaign messages were played at the congress grounds.
Prof Alabi's campaign team wants the party's National Executive Committee and Council of Elders to consider his idea of an Elections Committee as the race to chose who leads the party into the 2020 elections intensifies.
That election in December 2018 is three months away.
The campaign team said the proposed committee can check any personality attacks and the use of insults not only on aspirants but also on elders of the party.
Victor Adawudu said the NDC leadership needs to foster unity. A representative of each aspirant should be a member of the committee, he explained.
It will also help in relaying information to the aspirants directly instead of relying on the grapevine, Adawudu said.
He reiterated the Alabi campaign team's commitment to fairness.
"It is God who anoints leaders…except the Lord builds a house, they labour in vain that buildeth," he quoted a Christian verse.
The main opposition NDC is one stage away from choosing its flagbearer. It has elected its constituency executives, completed the election of regional executives and expects to elect national executives in October 2018.
The new national executives' immediate task will be organising the flagbearer contest, a field of at least 10 aspirants including former President John Mahama seen as the frontrunner.
John Mahama while president was invited to deliver the keynote address at the 8th Congregation of University of Professional Studies, Accra (UPSA) in August 2016. Prof. Joshua Alabi credited with the university's transformation was the Vice Chancellor.
In April 2018 at the party's Unity Walk, former President John Mahama declared "God will choose the next flagbearer". Joshua Alabi responded later that "God has chosen me already".
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Big Wednesday awaits NDC 7: Vetting Committee to release report in 24hrs
- Unresolved kidnappings: Family, IMANI, lawyer doubt police commitment
- Ablakwa pushes for probe as confusion rocks NAM1 court appearance date
- Bawumia advocates inclusive governance in Africa
- 'I have nothing to hide' - Ex- Dep BoG Governor refutes complicity in banking crisis
- Arrest Kennedy Agyapong now! - Minority charge
- Nam1 trip waste of taxpayers’ money – Apaak
- Supreme Court suspends ruling on disputed Woyome-UT bank properties
- Ghana’s development under Akufo-Addo impressive – Madagascar President
- NDC would not abolish the free SHS policy – Mahama
- Ahmed's killing cannot end like others - Rawlings condemns “reckless” Agyapong
- Murdered investigator: No reason to narrow probe to Agyapong – Ken Attafuah
- Akufo-Addo, Mahama congratulate Ya Naa -elect
- Yaa Naa’s funeral ends with prayers for harmony
- Referendum and district elections slated for Sept