Heated exchanges were recorded in Parliament involving Foreign minister Shirley Ayorkor Botchway over malfeasance claims by the Minority.
Livid, the Minister who is Anyaa-Sowutuom MP confronted the National Democratic Congress (NDC) MP Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa who claimed, government had purchased a building in Norway at $12m for use as an embassy.
Photo: Okudzeto says this buidling in Oslo is to be used as Ghana’s embassy in Norway
The North Tongu MP who is Minority spokesperson on Foreign Affairs said the building was up for sale for $3.5m as at August 2017.
His claim stunned the House as both sides sat silent.
The NDC MP presented documents to the Speaker of Parliament Prof. Mike Oquaye to back his claims. The documents included a newspaper article which called the sale unethical, the NDC MP said.
But the papers was rejected as unreliable, Joy News’ Joseph Opoku Gakpo reported. The Speaker called the documents ”internet production” not “validated by a stamp, seal...which will not be accepted in any court”.
But the Foreign Minister escalated the controversy outside the chamber of Parliament debunking the claims. Screaming at the NDC MP, the Minister said no purchase has been made in Norway.
Only an offer had been made, she said as journalists and parliamentarians surrounded the two MPs to witness the exchanges.
She expressed disappointment in the MP for failing to check with her ministry before proceeding to the floor of Parliament.
Another NDC MP Sam George also incurred the Minister’s wrath after she spotted him filming the confrontation. She shoved the phone off in an attempt to stop the recording.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Let's protect our peace by rejecting vigilantism - Methodist Bishop
- Make U/W 'everlasting stronghold' for NPP - Minister to NPP
- CID boss’ conduct ‘indefensible’ - Kasser-Tee fires
- Free SHS is most people-centered policy in Ghanaian history - Yagaba Chief
- Agalga responds to arms importation controversy; says gov’t being dishonest
- No space for conflicts; end the violence now – Akufo-Addo to ‘Chereponis'
- EIU report: NDC rubbishes 2020 victory prediction for NPP
- NDC issued permit for arms importation 2 days before leaving office - Gov’t reveals
- Nayiri lauds Akufo-Addo’s intervention in roads sector
- Philanthropist to industrialise Mfantseman constituency
- We’ve cleared arrears - Health Minister on trainee allowances
- DCEs abandon terrorism meeting; minister outraged
- Ghanaians angry with NPP, NDC – JOY restrategises for 2020 victory
- EIU predicts 2020 victory for Akufo-Addo
- Gov’t urged to consult broadly on Nima regeneration project