Heated exchanges were recorded in Parliament involving Foreign minister Shirley Ayorkor Botchway over malfeasance claims by the Minority.
Livid, the Minister who is Anyaa-Sowutuom MP confronted the National Democratic Congress (NDC) MP Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa who claimed, government had purchased a building in Norway at $12m for use as an embassy.
Photo: Okudzeto says this buidling in Oslo is to be used as Ghana’s embassy in Norway
The North Tongu MP who is Minority spokesperson on Foreign Affairs said the building was up for sale for $3.5m as at August 2017.
His claim stunned the House as both sides sat silent.
The NDC MP presented documents to the Speaker of Parliament Prof. Mike Oquaye to back his claims. The documents included a newspaper article which called the sale unethical, the NDC MP said.
But the papers was rejected as unreliable, Joy News’ Joseph Opoku Gakpo reported. The Speaker called the documents ”internet production” not “validated by a stamp, seal...which will not be accepted in any court”.
But the Foreign Minister escalated the controversy outside the chamber of Parliament debunking the claims. Screaming at the NDC MP, the Minister said no purchase has been made in Norway.
Only an offer had been made, she said as journalists and parliamentarians surrounded the two MPs to witness the exchanges.
She expressed disappointment in the MP for failing to check with her ministry before proceeding to the floor of Parliament.
Another NDC MP Sam George also incurred the Minister’s wrath after she spotted him filming the confrontation. She shoved the phone off in an attempt to stop the recording.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Disobedience to court order? Never! – Lawyer shocked state refused Afoko bail
- Castigate not Kwame Owusu – Maritime Authority workers defend ex-boss
- Freddie Blay hosts NPP loyal ladies at his residence
- NDC chairman leaves post to contest Keta seat
- Rise in political propaganda disturbing – Youth activist
- Tension as angry Ashanti Region NDC supporters storm party office
- Limited Voters Registration exercise fraught with massive challenges – NDC
- We did no wrong awarding contract to David Adjaye – Parliament
- Luxury vehicle tax inefficient, scrap it in budget review - Minority
- Rawlings on 3-day working visit to Burkina Faso
- Curb your voracious appetite for borrowing – Minority to gov’t
- Gov’t to probe Sir Adjaye's multiple contracts allegations
- Strengthen Ghana’s democratic credentials with ROPAA - Ambassador to EC
- C/R: NPP constituency executives demonstrate against Chairman
- Another police officer resigns to contest for parliamentary seat