Guinean leader, Alpha Conde, has made a day’s visit to Ghana, to confer with President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, on the political situation in Togo.
Their discussions were held behind closed doors but believed to have centred on speeding up the negotiation processes to end the bitter political crisis and bring enduring peace to the country.
Mr. Conde is the head of the ECOWAS Monitoring Committee, tasked by the regional body during its last meeting held in Lome, to support the efforts of President Akufo-Addo at helping the government and the opposition political parties to find a common ground.
The pair had been working hard to get the Togolese Government, the opposition and all other political stakeholders to implement constitutional reforms “while respecting legal deadlines, democratic standards and principles and the rule of law”.
Togo has been mired in a political standoff as the opposition pushes for a term limit for President.
Mr. Conde has since left for Guinea.
Earlier, on arrival at the Kotoka International Airport (KIA), in Accra, scores of Guinean nationals gathered at the airport to welcome their leader.
On hand to receive him at the Jubilee Lounge of the KIA was Vice President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, where they exchanged pleasantries.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Parliament recalled to pass Companies Bill
- SA xenophobic attackers must be prosecuted – Okudzeto urges int’l community
- Minority to trigger process for Osafo Maafo’s removal
- Collins Dauda reduced Parliament’s approved Saglemi contract – Atta-Akyea
- Gov't lacks strategic policy in dealing with China - Lecturer
- Deporting 'Galamsey Queen': Ablakwa spreads blame
- OccupyGhana 'highly disappointed' by Osafo-Maafo comments on Aisha Huang
- Politics is not religion… - Free Zones boss wants a paradigm shift
- Parliament postpones stakeholder engagement on Vigilante Bill
- 'I've never been against free SHS' – Mahama to Bawumia
- 'He is an Esau!'- NDC castigates Akufo-Addo for 'betraying' galamsey fight
- Politicians are like prostitutes claiming to be virgins – Man goes wild at business summit
- Mahama presents over 20 vehicles to NDC
- Hot Audio: Even without free SHS you couldn't deliver – Bawumia to Mahama
- Free SHS has been good for North, will be good for all of Ghana – Bawumia