Former President, John Mahama and immediate past national chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), John Odigie Oyegun, have won the year 2018 Zik Prize in political leadership.
The Zik Prize in Leadership Awards was instituted 25 years ago in honour of Nnamdi Azikiwe, the first President of Nigeria and Commander-in-Chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces.
Also, Udom Emmanuel and Abubakar Sanni- Bello, governors of Akwa Ibom State and Niger State in Nigeria, respectively won the prize in good governance.
Prof Pat Utomi, a member of the advisory board of the Public Policy Research and Analysis Centre, PPRAC, organizers of the awards, disclosed this at a press conference in Lagos on Wednesday, April 24.
According to Utomi, Femi Otedola, chairman of Forte Oil and Arthur Eze, billionaire business won the prize in business leadership just as Emmanuel Ibe Kachikwu, minister of state for petroleum and Shyngle Wigwe, an elder statesman and veteran broadcaster won the prize in public service.
Other winners of the prestigious prize for the year 2018, according to Utomi are, Oye Ibidapo Obe, a distinguished professor of Systems Engineering and Philips Oduoza, former group managing director of United Bank for Africa, UBA, and chairman/founder of NOVA Merchant Bank Limited who won the prize in professional leadership, while Bisi Fayemi, wife of Kayode Fayemi, the Ekiti Sate governor, won the prize for humanitarian leadership.
According to Utomi, the Prize was set up as an embodiment of the leadership values the Great Zik of Africa represented.
“Thus, its purse has always been to encourage and nurture leadership on the African continent”, Utomi said.
He clarified that the final list of awardees was arrived at by the advisory board of PPRAC after “an exhaustive appraisal of the nominees in the various award categories.”
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- OccupyGhana lauds RTI presidential assent
- Special Prosecutor ‘completely wrong’ – Ayariga responds to charges
- Special Prosecutor begins prosecution of Ayariga
- CI to track source of political party funding in the offing - EC reveals
- Ghanaian voters' biometric data completely controlled by foreigners – EC laments
- I couldn’t rig elections even if my father was running – EC Chair
- Akufo-Addo extols Parliament for its 'courage' in passing RTI
- Update: Akufo-Addo assents to RTI law
- CODEO wants chiefs to galvanise support for district level elections
- ‘Ghanaians feel insecure’ – Mahama wants gov't action
- Gov't won't be swayed by EIU's election 2020 victory report - Oppong Nkrumah
- Yapei chief commends Akufo-Addo for tackling water problem
- Gov’t records four-fold increase in revenue in piloted cashless system
- Appointment of Ambassador-at-large ‘killing’ PNC - Mornah
- Savannah Region will soon catch up with others - Akufo-Addo assures