The spokesperson for the Nayiri, Yidana Zakaria says the President’s ¢20 million seed money to address developmental challenges in the newly created North East region is insufficient.
He says although choosing Nalerigu as the region’s capital gives them great joy, the fund allocated to them is inadequate to solve the many problems that confront the region.
“When you drop a pebble in an ocean, you will not make any significant improvement in the quantum of water in that ocean so to the extent that the North East region is one of the most deprived in the country where education is nothing to write home about, health delivery is a big challenge, road networks are nothing good to talk about
“In the midst of all these challenges, one can understand that ¢20 million, though an appreciable amount, to the extent that people have their expectations, the money cannot address those needs,” he said in an interview on Joy FM’s Top Story.
The President, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo on Tuesday announced the selection of Nalerigu as the regional capital for North East.
He also announced Damongo as the capital for the newly created Savannah region.
President Akufo-Addo made these announcements at the Jubilee House in Accra during a ceremony to present the Constitutional Instruments (C.I 116) to give effect to the creation of the North East and Savannah regions.
The two regions, together with – Oti, Bono East, Ahafo and Western North – were created following a successful referendum last year.
But while the president prepares to hold another ceremony on Wednesday, February 13 to complete the creation of the Bono East and Ahafo regions and the Western North and Oti regions on February 15, the Nayiri and his people are not entirely impressed with the money they have been allocated.
“I have said on many platforms that if you were to put together all the common funds for all the six new regions for two years, you will not get ¢20 million so to get that amount at one go will give us a head start.
“But it is just to let people know that they need to be measured in their expectations,” the spokesperson added.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Politicians are like prostitutes claiming to be virgins – Man goes wild at business summit
- Mahama presents over 20 vehicles to NDC
- Hot Audio: Even without free SHS you couldn't deliver – Bawumia to Mahama
- Free SHS has been good for North, will be good for all of Ghana – Bawumia
- Asantehene shows gratitude for support over 2 decades
- Otumfuo@20: Lady Julia's love message to Asantehene
- Take out party elements from galamsey fight - Baako advises Akufo-Addo
- Osafo-Maafo must apologise for ‘avoidable gaffe’ – Baako
- Akufo-Addo must fire Snr. Minister for exposing Ghana to global ridicule - Former Minister
- Release MASLOC vehicles to GPRTU drivers – Mahama to gov’t
- Senior Minister’s Office clarifies controversial Aisha Huang comments
- Osafo-Maafo's comment fatal blow to galamsey fight - Ken Ashigbey
- Akufo-Addo urges ‘mobilisation of collective energy, prayers’ in Easter message
- Hot Audio: NDC will abolish luxury vehicles tax- John Mahama
- Queen mother calls for the establishment of National House of Queens