President Akufo-Addo has chosen Damongo as the capital town for the newly created Savannah region after a short event at the Jubilee House in Accra, Tuesday.
He disclosed this at a ceremony to present Constitutional Instruments (CI116) to give effect to the creation of the North East and Savannah region.
The Minister for Regional Reorganization and Development, Dan Botwe, told Joy News there will be a paradigm shift in development in the newly created regions particularly the North East and Savannah regions which now have their document of attestation.
Mr. Dan Botwe who spearheaded the creation of the new regions says the plan of the administration is to spread development in the region and not centralise government installations in the capital.
The move according to him is to bring government closer to the people.
To achieve that, Mr Botwe added that the Regional Coordinating Council has now been given enough power to take charge of development in the regions.
Damongo is a town and the capital of West Gonja district, a district in the Savannah Region of northern Ghana.
It hosts the overlord of the Gonja Kingdom; the Yagbonwura and it is also the capital, biggest town, in the Damongo Constituency which is represented in Parliament by Adam Mutawakilu.
Damongo boasts of key tourist attractions like the Mole National Park where visitors are assured of seeing a myriad of animals chief among which being elephants.
It also houses the popular tourist site of Larabanga Mosque and Mystic Stone in Larabanga with all the ancient stories surrounding their onset.
Some of the prominent personalities who were either born in or come from Damongo include the former president, John Dramani Mahama; Second Deputy Speaker of Parliament, Alban Bagbin; former Defence/Health Minister; Benjamin Kunbuor and the former Presidential candidate of Conventions People’s Party (CPP), Michael Abu Sakara Foster.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- NDC, EC clash over conduct of upcoming limited registration
- ‘Freeing Aisha Huang indirectly ridicules our courts’ - Ambassador Gbeho
- Parliament recalled to pass Companies Bill
- SA xenophobic attackers must be prosecuted – Okudzeto urges int’l community
- Minority to trigger process for Osafo Maafo’s removal
- Collins Dauda reduced Parliament’s approved Saglemi contract – Atta-Akyea
- Gov't lacks strategic policy in dealing with China - Lecturer
- Deporting 'Galamsey Queen': Ablakwa spreads blame
- OccupyGhana 'highly disappointed' by Osafo-Maafo comments on Aisha Huang
- Politics is not religion… - Free Zones boss wants a paradigm shift
- Parliament postpones stakeholder engagement on Vigilante Bill
- 'I've never been against free SHS' – Mahama to Bawumia
- 'He is an Esau!'- NDC castigates Akufo-Addo for 'betraying' galamsey fight
- Politicians are like prostitutes claiming to be virgins – Man goes wild at business summit
- Mahama presents over 20 vehicles to NDC