The President, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has chosen Nalerigu as the capital of the newly created North East region.
He disclosed this Tuesday at the Jubilee House in Accra, at a ceremony to present Constitutional Instruments (CI 116) to give effect to the creation of the North East and Savannah regions.
The two regions, together with – Oti, Bono East, Ahafo and Western North – were created following a successful referenda last year.
Northern Regional Minister, Salifu Saeed will act as minister for the North East until a substantive minister is appointed.
The president assured that government projects and structures will be equitably spread across the region.
“Already as contained in the President’s 2019 budget, seed capital of ¢20 million has been allocated for each region to aid in its smooth take-off.
“Government will make sure that the desire for growth and progress, which was the underlining reason for the vote for the creation of the North East region is met,” the president said.
The Tarana, the First Elder of the Nayiri welcomed the president’s announcement.
He called on all natives of the region to rally behind the chiefs to bring about the rapid development to the area.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- I'll bring Rawlings back to campaign - Alabi assures Volta NDC
- 'We can't find NDC MPs who held 'bloody widow' placards' - Parliament
- Asking NPP, NDC to meet over vigilantism too simplistic – Mahama
- 2020 election message not Bobolibobo - Joshua Alabi
- Asking NPP, NDC to deal with vigilantism is narrow approach - Prof. Gatsi
- Rawlings hopeful NDC, NPP will heed Akufo-Addo’s call to disarm militias
- NPP, NDC meeting cannot stop party militia canker – Asiedu Nketia
- Meet next week over party militia - Akufo-Addo rallies NPP, NDC leaders
- Full Text: President Akufo-Addo's SONA 2019
- SONA 2019: New ¢1b Housing Fund to target low-income earners – Akufo-Addo
- SONA 2019: Akufo-Addo pays tribute to fallen heroes in 2018
- State of the Nation address: What to expect
- What the law says: On formation and joining political militia groups
- SONA 2019: Akufo-Addo to ‘justify mandate, confidence reposed in him’
- Emile Short Commission ‘doing some good work’ – NDC alters stance