The youth at Salaga South constituency are angry following the citing of Damango as the regional capital of the newly created Savanna region.
The office of the governing New Patriotic Party in the constituency was set ablaze Tuesday evening.
“The place is burning down, people are throwing stones and all manner of things,” an eye witness told Joy News.
The protesters, displeased by President, Nana Akufo-Addo’s announcement Tuesday, insist Salaga deserved to be the regional capital.
They argued the people of Salaga South showed faith in the New Patriotic Party by voting the party’s parliamentary candidate, Salifu Adam Braimah as MP.
They say the choice of Damongo which voted for an NDC candidate Adam Mutawakilu, does not reward the peoples’ faith in the NPP.
The roofing, fridges, windows, satellite dish and computers are among the many things destroyed by the fire.
Although there is police presence “they cannot do anything”. Attempts by firefighters at the scene to douse the flames have been thwarted by the angry youths.
The eye witness said pick axes have been brought in by the irate youth to pull down the building.
The security apparatus has been paralysed by the actions of the youth who are having a field day in venting their anger.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- I'll bring Rawlings back to campaign - Alabi assures Volta NDC
- 'We can't find NDC MPs who held 'bloody widow' placards' - Parliament
- Asking NPP, NDC to meet over vigilantism too simplistic – Mahama
- 2020 election message not Bobolibobo - Joshua Alabi
- Asking NPP, NDC to deal with vigilantism is narrow approach - Prof. Gatsi
- Rawlings hopeful NDC, NPP will heed Akufo-Addo’s call to disarm militias
- NPP, NDC meeting cannot stop party militia canker – Asiedu Nketia
- Meet next week over party militia - Akufo-Addo rallies NPP, NDC leaders
- Full Text: President Akufo-Addo's SONA 2019
- SONA 2019: New ¢1b Housing Fund to target low-income earners – Akufo-Addo
- SONA 2019: Akufo-Addo pays tribute to fallen heroes in 2018
- State of the Nation address: What to expect
- What the law says: On formation and joining political militia groups
- SONA 2019: Akufo-Addo to ‘justify mandate, confidence reposed in him’
- Emile Short Commission ‘doing some good work’ – NDC alters stance