Ghana now has 16 administrative regions following the successful presentation of the Constitutional Instruments (C.I) that give legal backing for six newly created regions.
On Friday, February 15, President Nana Akufo-Addo publicly presented the C.I to delegations of chiefs and opinion leaders from the Oti region at a ceremony at the Jubilee House, to complete the pack.
The president announced, Dambai as the capital for the last of the six regions. The North East, Savannah, Bono East, Ahafo and Western North regions, received theirs earlier in the week.
Dambai is located on the eastern coast of the Volta Lake. It is the fastest growing town in the Oti area.
Because of its location on the Volta Lake, which provides fertile land and ample water, the Dambai area has a variety of animals and plants. The outskirts of Dambai contain wild animals such as lions and elephants, duikers, cobs, several marine and land snakes such as vipers, and pythons, and buffalo. Fish in the lake include tilapia, cat fish, Nile perch, electric fish, puff fish. There are several types of oysters and clams as well as several types of crocodiles including the Nile crocodile
The town has a vibrant market that falls on Monday and Tuesday to which market people across the Krachi East District and Togo come to. The occupation of the inhabitants is farming and fishing on the River Oti with few inhabitants being employed by offices of the district assembly and teaching.
It comes after the successful referenda held on December 27, 2018, in affected areas which saw an overwhelming endorsement of ‘YES’ for the creation of the new regions.
Each of the New regions has a seed capital of GH¢20million set aside by the president to facilitate their development agenda.
Perhaps the most controversial of all the new regions, Oti dominated the news for several weeks due to the strong opposition mounted by residents from the southern part of the Volta region from which the Oti has been curved.
Click to watch the video of the presentation ceremony:
See more photos below:
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Prof Edmund Delle resigns as CPP Chairman
- NDC, civil society and others punch holes into Vigilantism Bill
- Ex-NCA officials ordered to open defense in $4M misappropriation saga
- Zanetor Rawlings rebukes Korle-Klottey Assembly for lateness
- Be less partisan on Vigilantism Bill- Majority Leader to Committee
- Let Amidu start with your own men - Mahama's aide to Akufo-Addo
- OccupyGhana lauds RTI presidential assent
- Special Prosecutor ‘completely wrong’ – Ayariga responds to charges
- Special Prosecutor begins prosecution of Ayariga
- CI to track source of political party funding in the offing - EC reveals
- Ghanaian voters' biometric data completely controlled by foreigners – EC laments
- I couldn’t rig elections even if my father was running – EC Chair
- Akufo-Addo extols Parliament for its 'courage' in passing RTI
- Update: Akufo-Addo assents to RTI law
- CODEO wants chiefs to galvanise support for district level elections