The opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) is calling on the Electoral Commission to annul the results of the just ended Ayawaso West Wuogon by-election.
The NDC says the election was conducted under questionable circumstances “including the warlike environment.”
In a statement Monday, the party added that they shall not recognise the NPP candidate, Lydia Alhassan “since the entire process was a sham.”
“We call on the Electoral Commission Chairperson to annul the result of the by-election...” the statement said.
The statement also calls on state institutions to launch an investigation into the Thursday disturbances at the residence of the NDC candidate, Delali Kwesi Brempong which escalated to the La Bawaleshie polling centre close by.
“It is our expectation that…appropriate sanctions would be taken against offenders in order to restore some level of confidence in the system,” the party wrote.
“Failure to do this, we in the NDC will have no other option but to meet the NPP boot for boot in any election the Jean Mensa-led EC will conduct under the NPP and Nana Akufo Addo government,” they added.
The NDC also wants the National Security Minister to answer three questions for the people of Ghana.
1 How many National Security operatives were commissioned on the day to supervise the Ayawaso West Wuogon by-election?
2. How many of them were given weapon and live ammunition?
3. How many MI6 and AK47 and accompanying ammunition were issued for their operations on the Election 17ay 3Ist January 2019?
The National Security Minister has, however, stated that the men were on an operation to stop a society foe although he declined to reveal who they were after, saying the National Security is still investigating.
The NDC pulled out of the Thursday by-election after the attacks, citing intimidation.
However, the NPP candidate Mrs. Alhassan called on all constituents to come out and vote. She won the elections by a landslide by 68.8%.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- NDC denounces militia group ‘The Hawks’
- Short Commission petitioned to invite Mahama
- NCCE to name, shame political parties backing vigilante groups
- Investigate 15-bullet marks around my house – Witness tells Commission
- National Security Director fingers NDC 'Hawks' in Ayawaso by-election violence
- Military is being overly politicised –ex-serviceman
- Mahama hit with second 'eligibility suit' days to NDC presidential primaries
- NDC office shooting: Interior Minister warns against reprisals
- I know nothing about party office shooting – Joseph Yamin
- NDC asked to rescind boycott of Short Commission hearing
- Update: Yamoah-Ponkoh, Yamin questioned over fatal NDC shooting
- Ablakwa readies for court over Minister’s failure to brief Parliament
- Industry leaders want Akufo-Addo to improve security ahead of SONA 2019
- Emile Short Commission reveals security is politicised – Prof Gyampo
- Gov’t condemns fatal shooting at NDC office