Former Adenta MP and Managing Director of the Precious Minerals Marketing Company (PMMC), Kojo Opare Hammond, has died.
A source close to the family said he passed on Friday night at the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital in Accra after a short illness.
In 2004, Dr. Opare-Hammond became the first legislator for the Adenta Constituency after it was separated from the Ashaiman Constituency.
Following the inauguration of the Akufo-Addo government, he was appointed as Managing Director of the Precious Minerals Marketing Company in 2017.
In 2018, he became the centre of controversy after staff of the company went on a protest, accusing him of procurement breaches and indiscriminate dismissal of employees.
President Nana Akufo was at his residence Saturday to commiserate with his family.
National Youth Organiser of the NPP, Henry Nana Boakye while confirming the news to Joy New noted that the late Opare-Hammond was a senior friend to him.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Unresolved kidnappings: Family, IMANI, lawyer doubt police commitment
- Ablakwa pushes for probe as confusion rocks NAM1 court appearance date
- Bawumia advocates inclusive governance in Africa
- 'I have nothing to hide' - Ex- Dep BoG Governor refutes complicity in banking crisis
- Arrest Kennedy Agyapong now! - Minority charge
- Nam1 trip waste of taxpayers’ money – Apaak
- Supreme Court suspends ruling on disputed Woyome-UT bank properties
- Ghana’s development under Akufo-Addo impressive – Madagascar President
- NDC would not abolish the free SHS policy – Mahama
- Ahmed's killing cannot end like others - Rawlings condemns “reckless” Agyapong
- Murdered investigator: No reason to narrow probe to Agyapong – Ken Attafuah
- Akufo-Addo, Mahama congratulate Ya Naa -elect
- Yaa Naa’s funeral ends with prayers for harmony
- Referendum and district elections slated for Sept
- Ghana Airport Company MD removed