Former Adenta MP and Managing Director of the Precious Minerals Marketing Company (PMMC), Kojo Opare Hammond, has died.
A source close to the family said he passed on Friday night at the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital in Accra after a short illness.
In 2004, Dr. Opare-Hammond became the first legislator for the Adenta Constituency after it was separated from the Ashaiman Constituency.
Following the inauguration of the Akufo-Addo government, he was appointed as Managing Director of the Precious Minerals Marketing Company in 2017.
In 2018, he became the centre of controversy after staff of the company went on a protest, accusing him of procurement breaches and indiscriminate dismissal of employees.
President Nana Akufo was at his residence Saturday to commiserate with his family.
National Youth Organiser of the NPP, Henry Nana Boakye while confirming the news to Joy New noted that the late Opare-Hammond was a senior friend to him.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Canadian girls' rescue: No ransom negotiations occurred - Baako backs gov't
- Is gov't trying to gag security capos? - Security analyst quizzes
- Akufo-Addo's policies to fight corruption unmatched in 4th Republic – Bawumia
- Oda NPP gets Nissan Pickup to boost activities
- Deputy Speaker cautions MPs against lying about attendance
- Parliament 'tightens' security following attempted suicide
- Canadian girls kidnap: Education Ministry PRO in trouble over Facebook post
- 15 MPs found to abandon work after ‘clocking in’
- Ghana could have female leader soon - Akufo-Addo
- EC sets new date for limited voters’ registration exercise
- Lolobi, Akpafu chiefs fight inclusion in Oti region
- NDC urges calm among supporters following Chairman’s arrest
- EC gets cleared to go ahead with Limited Registration Exercise
- Don't incite public against legislators - Speaker reacts to controversial survey
- Photos: Ambassador to Italy presents letters of credence to Italian President