Former Adenta MP and Managing Director of the Precious Minerals Marketing Company (PMMC), Kojo Opare Hammond, has died.
A source close to the family said he passed on Friday night at the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital in Accra after a short illness.
In 2004, Dr. Opare-Hammond became the first legislator for the Adenta Constituency after it was separated from the Ashaiman Constituency.
Following the inauguration of the Akufo-Addo government, he was appointed as Managing Director of the Precious Minerals Marketing Company in 2017.
In 2018, he became the centre of controversy after staff of the company went on a protest, accusing him of procurement breaches and indiscriminate dismissal of employees.
President Nana Akufo was at his residence Saturday to commiserate with his family.
National Youth Organiser of the NPP, Henry Nana Boakye while confirming the news to Joy New noted that the late Opare-Hammond was a senior friend to him.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- New regions will have highest calibre of staff – Local gov’t head
- NDC in fresh haggle with NPP over time, venue for militia meeting
- Militia meeting: NPP finally agrees to NDC's wider participation proposal
- Gov't firms up deals for Agric mechanization, Yendi Water Projects
- Step back from vigilante groups, Kofi Abotsi counsels NPP, NDC
- Long hours of parliamentary sittings health risk–Muntaka
- NDC disappointed Kwabena Adjei - Rawlings
- "It is misjudgment" - Minister-designate withdraws NDC Mahindra claims
- "The President must wake up!" – Baako fires
- Leaked NDC tape: Ampofo charges reduce, Gyamfi and Boahene added
- Violence not path for resolving conflict, Gov't to feuding Chereponi factions
- I’ll set up gold museum in Western Region – Tourism Minister-designate
- President assents to Civil Aviation Amendment Bill
- Militia confab: President’s response unfortunate - Sammy Gyamfi
- The Bible knows no biased prophet like Owusu Bempah – John Mahama