The Minority in Parliament has made a number of demands on President Akufo-Addo including a call to desist from revising the country’s history in favour of familial considerations.
In a New Year message signed by the Minority leader, Haruna Iddrisu, the legislators wished Ghanaians well and asked the Akufo-Addo -led Administration to re-examine its priorities and eschew the historic levels of nepotism.
“Bring an end to the free for all corruption that has engulfed this government, cut down on the obscene 111 Ministers and immediately present new policies that will alleviate the hardships Ghanaians have been subjected to since Nana Akufo-Addo assumed the presidency,” the message stated.
According to the Minority MPs, they are also deeply concerned about the worsening financial sector crisis which has led to massive job losses, loss of investments and a general lack of confidence.
“We implore Government to urgently confront reality and formulate concrete interventions to rescue Ghana's troubled financial sector,” the statement concluded.
NEW YEAR MESSAGE FROM THE MINORITY IN GHANA'S PARLIAMENT
The NDC Minority in Parliament presents its compliments of the New Year.
We hereby convey our sincere wishes of good health, great cheer and glad tidings to all Ghanaians.
The Minority is most thankful for the support and collaboration we have received from all persons home and abroad in performing our onerous Constitutional duties of oversight, lawmaking, safeguarding our democracy and assessing the impact of executive policies on the people.
We remain encouraged and inspired by the overwhelming solidarity from the people we serve and allies such as the Media, Organized Labour and Civil Society Organizations.
We believe we can deepen our engagements based on the principles of nationalism, trust, mutual respect, objectivity and fairness as we collectively work to demand social justice and accountability.
The Minority avails itself of this opportunity to assure Ghanaians that all can expect a more vigilant, thorough and battle-ready team resolutely determined to pursue nothing but the national interest.
We reiterate our demand on the Akufo-Addo Administration to re-examine its priorities, desist from revising our history in favour of familial considerations, bring an end to the free for all corruption that has engulfed this government, eschew the historic levels of nepotism, cut down on the obscene 111 Ministers and immediately present new policies that will alleviate the hardships Ghanaians have been subjected to since Nana Akufo-Addo assumed the presidency.
We are also deeply concerned about the worsening financial sector crisis which has led to massive job losses, loss of investments and general lack of confidence. We implore Government to urgently confront reality and formulate concrete interventions to rescue Ghana's troubled financial sector.
May the good Lord be with us all throughout the year and help us build a strong democracy that delivers on the hopes and aspirations of our people.
Haruna Iddrisu MP, Tamale South Minority Leader
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- ‘My heart is clean’ – Embattled Ofosu Ampofo looks to God for redemption
- ‘Secure lives of citizens’ – Mahama laments 'insecurity' under Akufo-Addo
- NPP didn’t promise not to borrow - Baako challenges NDC claims
- Ghana, Jamaica waive visa for citizens
- NAPO demands apology from Sammy Gyamfi, Zu over kidnapper linkage
- Canadian girls' rescue: No ransom negotiations occurred - Baako backs gov't
- Is gov't trying to gag security capos? - Security analyst quizzes
- Akufo-Addo's policies to fight corruption unmatched in 4th Republic – Bawumia
- Oda NPP gets Nissan Pickup to boost activities
- Deputy Speaker cautions MPs against lying about attendance
- Parliament 'tightens' security following attempted suicide
- Canadian girls kidnap: Education Ministry PRO in trouble over Facebook post
- 15 MPs found to abandon work after ‘clocking in’
- Ghana could have female leader soon - Akufo-Addo
- EC sets new date for limited voters’ registration exercise