Results released by the Electoral Commission (EC) in the Ayawaso West Wuogon Constituency election shows the New Patriotic Party (NPP) candidate, Lydia Alhassan, has won the seat.
She garnered 68.80 per cent of the total votes after the Electoral Commission (EC) finished its collation.
The final results released by the EC are as follows:
|Candidate||Votes Obtained||Percentage (%)|
|Total Valid Votes||17,501|
|Total Rejected votes||88|
|Total registered voters||88,710|
|Total % Turnout||19.83%|
The elated but composed NPP candidate, who incidentally celebrates her birthday today is receiving lots of congratulatory messages at the Central Cafeteria collation centre at Legon.
According to Joy News correspondents who reported from few of the 137 polling stations, the wife of deceased MP Kyeremateng Agyarko took an early lead.
This is not surprising as the biggest opposition candidate, NDC’s Kwasi Brempong withdrew from the contest after a shooting incident early Thursday morning.
Joy News reporters spread across polling stations in the constituency report that security has been tight in all the centres that they have visited with a lot of police and Fire Service officers present to forestall violence.
They said one thing that characterised the by-election was low voter turn out in the areas they visited.
Some polling centres on the University of Ghana campus had as low as zero per cent turn-out and a high of 28 per cent.
The by-election was marred by violence at La Bawalashie where eight people sustained gunshot wounds.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Parliament postpones stakeholder engagement on Vigilante Bill
- 'I've never been against free SHS' – Mahama to Bawumia
- 'He is an Esau!'- NDC castigates Akufo-Addo for 'betraying' galamsey fight
- Politicians are like prostitutes claiming to be virgins – Man goes wild at business summit
- Mahama presents over 20 vehicles to NDC
- Hot Audio: Even without free SHS you couldn't deliver – Bawumia to Mahama
- Free SHS has been good for North, will be good for all of Ghana – Bawumia
- Asantehene shows gratitude for support over 2 decades
- Otumfuo@20: Lady Julia's love message to Asantehene
- Take out party elements from galamsey fight - Baako advises Akufo-Addo
- Osafo-Maafo must apologise for ‘avoidable gaffe’ – Baako
- Akufo-Addo must fire Snr. Minister for exposing Ghana to global ridicule - Former Minister
- Release MASLOC vehicles to GPRTU drivers – Mahama to gov’t
- Senior Minister’s Office clarifies controversial Aisha Huang comments
- Osafo-Maafo's comment fatal blow to galamsey fight - Ken Ashigbey