Myjoyonline.com has confirmed that the opposition NDC has pulled out of the ongoing Ayawaso by-elections.
The National Chairman of the NDC, Samuel Ofosu Ampofo told Joy FM’s Super Morning Show that the party has withdrawn from the elections for security reasons.
Delali Kwesi Brempong is the NDC candidate
“Armed security men besieged our candidate ’s home and we can no longer guarantee the security of our people and our polling agents,” he said.
“We have conferred with our candidate, Delali Kwesi Brempong and he is traumatized by the incident. We also do not believe a single life should be lost in this by-election so we have withdrawn from the process,“ he told Daniel Dadzie.
Just hours into the by-election, some armed men clothed in National Security apparel stormed the La Bawalashie Presby polling station. Eyewitnesses say the armed men fired shots and attacked some agents believed to be opposition NDC agents.
The shots lasted 20 minutes. Police intervened as the attacks continued.
The men according to eyewitnesses also stormed the home of the NDC candidate, Delali Kwesi Brempong.
Chairman of the NDC, Samuel Ofosu-Ampofo, told Daniel Dadzie on the Super Morning Show that at least six people have been critically injured and have been sent to Legon Hospital. Others have been sent to 37 Military Hospital.
Meanwhile, MP for Prampram, Sam Dzata George posted online that he had just been assaulted by several members of the NPP Invicible Forces. He claims that they were wearing NSC shirts as well. George later added that two victims are dead and one is injured.
“[George] is traumatized. When I went to his home he was in the bedroom and couldn’t even move. I don’t understand why people would do this,” Ofosu-Ampofo said.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Alhassan Suhuyini fabricated Bawumia's supposed Tweet on 'no borrowing by NPP'
- Parliamentary immunity: Majority Leader urges caution
- Judge throws out Speaker of Parliament immunity letter again
- Read full court ruling: The Republic vrs Mahama Ayariga
- Tamale NPP boys lock up National Sports Authority office
- Martin Amidu's charges against Ayariga suffer in court
- Court gives Amidu green light to prosecute Ayariga
- Youth of Awutu Senya West reject call for George Andah to resign
- ‘My heart is clean’ – Embattled Ofosu Ampofo looks to God for redemption
- ‘Secure lives of citizens’ – Mahama laments 'insecurity' under Akufo-Addo
- NPP didn’t promise not to borrow - Baako challenges NDC claims
- Ghana, Jamaica waive visa for citizens
- NAPO demands apology from Sammy Gyamfi, Zu over kidnapper linkage
- Canadian girls' rescue: No ransom negotiations occurred - Baako backs gov't
- Is gov't trying to gag security capos? - Security analyst quizzes