Myjoyonline.com has confirmed that the opposition NDC has pulled out of the ongoing Ayawaso by-elections.
The National Chairman of the NDC, Samuel Ofosu Ampofo told Joy FM’s Super Morning Show that the party has withdrawn from the elections for security reasons.
Delali Kwesi Brempong is the NDC candidate
“Armed security men besieged our candidate ’s home and we can no longer guarantee the security of our people and our polling agents,” he said.
“We have conferred with our candidate, Delali Kwesi Brempong and he is traumatized by the incident. We also do not believe a single life should be lost in this by-election so we have withdrawn from the process,“ he told Daniel Dadzie.
Just hours into the by-election, some armed men clothed in National Security apparel stormed the La Bawalashie Presby polling station. Eyewitnesses say the armed men fired shots and attacked some agents believed to be opposition NDC agents.
The shots lasted 20 minutes. Police intervened as the attacks continued.
The men according to eyewitnesses also stormed the home of the NDC candidate, Delali Kwesi Brempong.
Chairman of the NDC, Samuel Ofosu-Ampofo, told Daniel Dadzie on the Super Morning Show that at least six people have been critically injured and have been sent to Legon Hospital. Others have been sent to 37 Military Hospital.
Meanwhile, MP for Prampram, Sam Dzata George posted online that he had just been assaulted by several members of the NPP Invicible Forces. He claims that they were wearing NSC shirts as well. George later added that two victims are dead and one is injured.
“[George] is traumatized. When I went to his home he was in the bedroom and couldn’t even move. I don’t understand why people would do this,” Ofosu-Ampofo said.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- I'll bring Rawlings back to campaign - Alabi assures Volta NDC
- 'We can't find NDC MPs who held 'bloody widow' placards' - Parliament
- Asking NPP, NDC to meet over vigilantism too simplistic – Mahama
- 2020 election message not Bobolibobo - Joshua Alabi
- Asking NPP, NDC to deal with vigilantism is narrow approach - Prof. Gatsi
- Rawlings hopeful NDC, NPP will heed Akufo-Addo’s call to disarm militias
- NPP, NDC meeting cannot stop party militia canker – Asiedu Nketia
- Meet next week over party militia - Akufo-Addo rallies NPP, NDC leaders
- Full Text: President Akufo-Addo's SONA 2019
- SONA 2019: New ¢1b Housing Fund to target low-income earners – Akufo-Addo
- SONA 2019: Akufo-Addo pays tribute to fallen heroes in 2018
- State of the Nation address: What to expect
- What the law says: On formation and joining political militia groups
- SONA 2019: Akufo-Addo to ‘justify mandate, confidence reposed in him’
- Emile Short Commission ‘doing some good work’ – NDC alters stance