Myjoyonline.com has confirmed that the opposition NDC has pulled out of the ongoing Ayawaso by-elections.
The National Chairman of the NDC, Samuel Ofosu Ampofo told Joy FM’s Super Morning Show that the party has withdrawn from the elections for security reasons.
Delali Kwesi Brempong is the NDC candidate
“Armed security men besieged our candidate ’s home and we can no longer guarantee the security of our people and our polling agents,” he said.
“We have conferred with our candidate, Delali Kwesi Brempong and he is traumatized by the incident. We also do not believe a single life should be lost in this by-election so we have withdrawn from the process,“ he told Daniel Dadzie.
Just hours into the by-election, some armed men clothed in National Security apparel stormed the La Bawalashie Presby polling station. Eyewitnesses say the armed men fired shots and attacked some agents believed to be opposition NDC agents.
The shots lasted 20 minutes. Police intervened as the attacks continued.
The men according to eyewitnesses also stormed the home of the NDC candidate, Delali Kwesi Brempong.
Chairman of the NDC, Samuel Ofosu-Ampofo, told Daniel Dadzie on the Super Morning Show that at least six people have been critically injured and have been sent to Legon Hospital. Others have been sent to 37 Military Hospital.
Meanwhile, MP for Prampram, Sam Dzata George posted online that he had just been assaulted by several members of the NPP Invicible Forces. He claims that they were wearing NSC shirts as well. George later added that two victims are dead and one is injured.
“[George] is traumatized. When I went to his home he was in the bedroom and couldn’t even move. I don’t understand why people would do this,” Ofosu-Ampofo said.
More Politics Headlines
- Stronghold: New JoyNews series focuses on constituency politics
- Your initiatives have lessened our burden – Wa chief to President Akufo-Addo
- Liberal Party to legalise commercial production of marijuana in 2020
- I don't prophesy unprecedented projects - Mahama jabbed
- Jeremy Corbyn set for four-day Ghana visit
- Photos: Mahama basks in Homowo cheers
- Bawumia mocks 'General Mosquito' over new Master's degree
- Anlo chief set to mediate Bimbilla chieftaincy dispute
- Minority calls out gov’t over employment data
- A Pratt-Baako ticket for 2020… To break NPP-NDC stranglehold
- Gov’t says 611,397 new jobs created between 2017 and 2018
- Builsa chiefs install Akufo-Addo 'Chief for the Poor and Vulnerable'
- Ghana-India Kofi Annan Centre used ¢2m without approval - Report
- Akufo-Addo cuts sod for construction of Tamale Airport Phase II
- House of Chiefs defers Bunkpurugu conflict verdict