Former Health Minister, Alex Segbefia, has denied media reports that he has been surcharged by the Auditor-General for alleged wrongful payments during his tenure.
The media reports had cited an intercepted memo in which the former Minister and two other persons were identified to have allegedly made the wrongful payment to waste management company Zoomlion Ghana.
The memo, according to the reports allegedly revealed that Mr Segbefia ordered then CEO of National Health Insurance Authority (NHIA), Sylvester Mensah to make the payments for which reason the Auditor-General has had cause to surcharge him and two others – Mr Mensah and Zoomlion Chief Executive, Joseph Siaw Agyapong.
However, in a response to the reports, Mr Segbefia stated “I have not been surcharged by the Auditor-General for ordering a ‘dubious payments’.”
“I want to put on record that I have not received any letter from the Auditor-General in respect of the above subject matter. In as much as I am not above the law, I want to put on record that I followed lay down procedures during my tenure as the Minister for Health,” he said.
Read the full response to the reports by the former Minister below.
My attention has been drawn to a story making the rounds in the circles of the media reported by Ghanaweb on the 7th of January 2019, that I have been surcharged by the Auditor-General for ordering a “dubious payments”.
I want to put on record that I have not received any letter from the Auditor-General in respect of the above subject matter.
In as much as I am not above the law, I want to put on record that I followed lay down procedures during my tenure as the Minister for Health.
I want to use this opportunity to urge the media to cross check their facts before going to press since their publication could damage people’s hard-won reputations.
I dare say that crosschecking which is one of the cardinal principles of journalism should be respected at all times.
Notwithstanding you will be contacted if any development comes up.
Former Minister for Health
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- New regions will have highest calibre of staff – Local gov’t head
- NDC in fresh haggle with NPP over time, venue for militia meeting
- Militia meeting: NPP finally agrees to NDC's wider participation proposal
- Gov't firms up deals for Agric mechanization, Yendi Water Projects
- Step back from vigilante groups, Kofi Abotsi counsels NPP, NDC
- Long hours of parliamentary sittings health risk–Muntaka
- NDC disappointed Kwabena Adjei - Rawlings
- "It is misjudgment" - Minister-designate withdraws NDC Mahindra claims
- "The President must wake up!" – Baako fires
- Leaked NDC tape: Ampofo charges reduce, Gyamfi and Boahene added
- Violence not path for resolving conflict, Gov't to feuding Chereponi factions
- I’ll set up gold museum in Western Region – Tourism Minister-designate
- President assents to Civil Aviation Amendment Bill
- Militia confab: President’s response unfortunate - Sammy Gyamfi
- The Bible knows no biased prophet like Owusu Bempah – John Mahama