Former President John Dramani Mahama and his wife were enrolled onto the National Identity Register on Tuesday and were subsequently issued with the Ghana Card.
Other members of the former President's household, as well as office staff, were also registered and issued with the Ghana Card at his East Cantonments office.
President Mahama emphasised the importance of the Ghana Card to the nation's development and described the registration exercise as a non-partisan process.
He urged Ghanaians to go out there and register for the Ghana Card.
Prof. Kenneth Agyemang Attafuah, Executive Secretary of the National Identification Authority (NIA), as the Chief Registration Officer, led a team of registration officials to undertake the exercise.
Speaking after the exercise, Prof. Attafuah expressed appreciation for the warm reception accorded the team.
He noted that, as with the other former presidents, NIA was happy to register Mr Mahama at his convenience.
The NIA Executive Secretary also used the occasion to touch on the immense functionalities of the Ghana Card.
The NIA has previously extended the same courtesy to other former presidents namely, Flt. Lt. Jerry John Rawlings and John Agyekum Kufuor.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Kofi Adams hopeful firming Buem as NDC stronghold
- Amidu laments interference in his work
- New High Court ruling on Afoko bail ‘shocking, bizarre’ – Kpebu
- Remove new GRA Board Chair until impropriety claims are cleared - CSOs
- Treat corruption as high-risk activity – Adwoa Safo
- 'President has killed corruption probe on ex-Maritime Authority boss'
- Ayariga questions Amidu's motive for filing new charges
- Apaak takes on Akufo-Addo, GBA, others for Afoko’s continuous detention
- Former IGP’s aide cites ‘mounting pressure’ for contesting as MP
- South Korean Foreign minister calls on Bawumia
- NDC places hold on parliamentary primaries in 37 constituencies
- I pursued politics with 'secret agenda' to implement BoG policies - Bawumia
- Bagbin, 4 other NDC MPs to leave Parliament
- Don't dare introduce new chamber idea again – Parliament warned
- Full document: Amidu files fresh charges against Ayariga