JoyNews has secured a copy of the Speaker of Parliament’s letter addressed to a High Court Judge, asserting the immunity of Bawku Central MP who is facing criminal prosecution.
This includes a seven-page ruling by Prof Aaron Mike Oquaye justifying Parliamentary immunity.
Mahama Ayariga is facing criminal prosecution following an allegation of tax evasion made against him by the Office of the Special Prosecutor.
He initially declined court invitations asserting his immunity as a parliamentarian.
As a result, he was not in court when his case was called on Tuesday morning.
Incensed by the MP’s conduct, Justice Afia Serwaa Asare Botwe, the presiding judge ordered lawyers of the MP to produce him not later than 1 pm of that day.
Mahama Ayariga who was in Parliament at the time of the court hearing used the opportunity to seek the ruling of the Speaker on the matter.
Find below a copy of the speaker’s ruling and a letter conveying same to the presiding judge.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Commonwealth honours High Commissioner for Dev't achievements across Africa
- Govt can’t sack CEOs – Supreme Court declares
- Minority Leader urges EC to publish registered voters daily
- Despite Group affiliate apologises to Ibrahim Mahama
- EPA works to promote inter-institutional coordination
- Volta NDC women, MTN celebrate Rawling's 72nd birthday
- Female representation in Parliament still low – Majority Leader laments
- Video: Africa's problem is leadership - John Maxwell speaks on Joy FM
- Suit challenging legality of Ayawaso West Wuogon by-election dismissed
- District Assembly rejects 2018 League Table after scoring zero
- President peddled false energy debt figures in Canada - Minority
- Female MPs must go unchallenged in NDC primaries - Minority Leader
- Amidu takes responsibility for defects in Ayariga's charge sheet
- Ofosu-Ampofo is being investigated for kidnapping of Indian - NDC
- No sacking over poor performance on District League Table – Minister assures