The governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) has announced, it will hold extra-ordinary regional annual delegates conference on May 4, to elect officers for vacant regional positions following the creation of six new regions.
The decision was reached Tuesday, March 12, by the National Executive Committee (NEC) after meeting at the party’s headquarters, according to a statement issued and signed signed by General Secretary, John Boadu.
Below is the full statement:
March 12, 2019
The NPP shall, pursuant to Article 18 of the Party’s Constitution and notwithstanding any provision to the contrary, hold an Extraordinary Regional Annual Delegates Conference on May 4, 2019, to elect officers to occupy vacant regional executive positions, occasioned by the recent regional reorganization.
This decision was arrived at by the party’s National Executive Committee (NEC) at its meeting held on Tuesday, March 12, 2019, at the party headquarters, and was subsequently ratified by National Council, same day. The meeting had in attendance, H.E. President Akufo-Addo, H.E. Vice President Mahamudu Bawumia, the Chief of Staff, the party’s National Chairman and other NEC members.
NEC has, as part of the Regulations governing the impending conference, directed that, all persons serving as regional executives (appointed/elected) in regions that have been split, have the OPTION of choosing where they want to be, and shall MAINTAIN their current positions.
If on the other hand, any regional officer is desirous of contesting for a different position, then he/she shall vacate his/her current position, in order to be eligible to contest for the new position. Consequently, the position he/she was occupying shall be declared VACANT for fresh nominations to be filed.
Also, National Council approved the composition of Standing and Adhoc Committees of the Council comprising Finance Committee, Constitutional and Legal, Vetting Committee, Organizational Committee, Research Committee, National Disciplinary Committee, Dispute Resolution Committee, ICT Committee, Welfare Committee, Elections Committee, Events Committee, Communications Committee, and also approved additional names to the party’s National Council of Elders. These committees shall soon be inaugurated.
Finally, on the impending extraordinary regional delegates’ conference, the Party shall soon come out with guidelines and modalities for the conduct of the conference in all the affected regions. It is the expectation of the Party that all stakeholders shall be guided by these directives.
General Secretary, NPP
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Castigate not Kwame Owusu – Maritime Authority workers defend ex-boss
- Freddie Blay hosts NPP loyal ladies at his residence
- NDC chairman leaves post to contest Keta seat
- Rise in political propaganda disturbing – Youth activist
- Tension as angry Ashanti Region NDC supporters storm party office
- Limited Voters Registration exercise fraught with massive challenges – NDC
- We did no wrong awarding contract to David Adjaye – Parliament
- Luxury vehicle tax inefficient, scrap it in budget review - Minority
- Rawlings on 3-day working visit to Burkina Faso
- Curb your voracious appetite for borrowing – Minority to gov’t
- Gov’t to probe Sir Adjaye's multiple contracts allegations
- Strengthen Ghana’s democratic credentials with ROPAA - Ambassador to EC
- C/R: NPP constituency executives demonstrate against Chairman
- Another police officer resigns to contest for parliamentary seat
- Parliament approves €276m facility for Tamale water project