Tempers flared in Parliament Wednesday, as the Minority Chief Whip demanded the where about of Majority Leader.
Mohammed-Mubarak Muntaka was vexed that Majority Leader, Osei Kyei Mensah Bonsu has been absent from the House all week after he argued that sitting be extended a week before they break for Easter.
Muntaka expressed his disappointment about the no-show of Mensah Bonsu and warned that if an extension is prayed for subsequently, it may not find the blessing of the Minority.
“If all other members could cancel their programmes…I thought he should equally be here…” Muntaka demanded.
But the Minority Whip’s query was met in equal measure by Mensah Bonsu’s deputy.
“The Minority leader’s chair is empty as well,” Dome Kwabenya MP, Sarah Adwoa Sarfo, fired back. The Minority, however, noted that their leader, Haruna Iddrisu, will be in the chamber later Wednesday.
Deputy Majority leader, Adwoa Sarfo and the Majority leader, Osei Kyei Mensah Bonsu
Justifying the absence of Mensah Bonsu, Adwoa Sarfo said the Majority Leader has gone out of the jurisdiction to attend to equally important business of the House.
She expressed disappointment over the outburst of the Minority Whip, saying that Parliament works with a structure and other members of the Majority leadership are around to move the ship
“The Minority Whip himself was absent last week attending the funeral of a member of the Pan African Parliament. Does he want to say when he was absent his deputy did not work?”
Joy News’ Joseph Opoku Gakpo reported that both leaders in the House had travelled to Qatar to attend a meeting of the Inter-Parliamentary Union in Qatar last week but the Majority leader has travelled out again.
Adwoa Sarfo said the First Deputy Speaker is also out on foreign business and even the Speaker himself is expected to join them so the Majority Leader’s absence should not be a problem.
“The House has structures to fill the void,” she reiterated.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Let's protect our peace by rejecting vigilantism - Methodist Bishop
- Make U/W 'everlasting stronghold' for NPP - Minister to NPP
- CID boss’ conduct ‘indefensible’ - Kasser-Tee fires
- Free SHS is most people-centered policy in Ghanaian history - Yagaba Chief
- Agalga responds to arms importation controversy; says gov’t being dishonest
- No space for conflicts; end the violence now – Akufo-Addo to ‘Chereponis'
- EIU report: NDC rubbishes 2020 victory prediction for NPP
- NDC issued permit for arms importation 2 days before leaving office - Gov’t reveals
- Nayiri lauds Akufo-Addo’s intervention in roads sector
- Philanthropist to industrialise Mfantseman constituency
- We’ve cleared arrears - Health Minister on trainee allowances
- DCEs abandon terrorism meeting; minister outraged
- Ghanaians angry with NPP, NDC – JOY restrategises for 2020 victory
- EIU predicts 2020 victory for Akufo-Addo
- Gov’t urged to consult broadly on Nima regeneration project