The chairman of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), Mr Samuel Ofosu Ampofo is to appear in court on Tuesday to answer charges on conspiracy to cause harm and assault against a public officer.
To appear alongside Mr Ofosu Ampofo is Kwaku Boahen, Deputy National Communications Officer of the NDC, who is to face similar charges.
The two NDC bigshots are to appear before the Accra High Court.
They have both denied the charges against them.
The charges were levelled against the two after they reported themselves in March 2019 to answer questions concerning a leaked tape in which they are said to have made certain statements inciting violence.
Mr Ofosu Ampofo has refused to publicly comment on the audio which he has said was doctored.
When he visited the CID headquarters on Monday, March 4, 2019, about 30 minutes of the audio was played for him to listen after which he was asked whether that was his voice but he refused to comment on the audio.
He was formally arrested and was charged accordingly with a threat of harm, conspiracy to harm a public officer and proceeded to write his statement.
After that, he was granted bail in the sum of Gh¢400,000 with two sureties.
He has been reporting to the CID intermittently since then.
Meanwhile, the NDC through its Director of Communications, Kakra Essamuah, has issued a press release dated April 15, 2019, announcing "for the information of the general public that" Mr Ofosu Ampofo and Kwaku Boahen would be in court on Tuesday at 8am to answer "charges arising out of the contents of the leaked tape."
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Let's protect our peace by rejecting vigilantism - Methodist Bishop
- Make U/W 'everlasting stronghold' for NPP - Minister to NPP
- CID boss’ conduct ‘indefensible’ - Kasser-Tee fires
- Free SHS is most people-centered policy in Ghanaian history - Yagaba Chief
- Agalga responds to arms importation controversy; says gov’t being dishonest
- No space for conflicts; end the violence now – Akufo-Addo to ‘Chereponis'
- EIU report: NDC rubbishes 2020 victory prediction for NPP
- NDC issued permit for arms importation 2 days before leaving office - Gov’t reveals
- Nayiri lauds Akufo-Addo’s intervention in roads sector
- Philanthropist to industrialise Mfantseman constituency
- We’ve cleared arrears - Health Minister on trainee allowances
- DCEs abandon terrorism meeting; minister outraged
- Ghanaians angry with NPP, NDC – JOY restrategises for 2020 victory
- EIU predicts 2020 victory for Akufo-Addo
- Gov’t urged to consult broadly on Nima regeneration project