JoyNews has secured a copy of the Speaker of Parliament’s letter addressed to a High Court Judge, asserting the immunity of Bawku Central MP who is facing criminal prosecution.
This includes a seven-page ruling by Prof Aaron Mike Oquaye justifying Parliamentary immunity.
Mahama Ayariga is facing criminal prosecution following an allegation of tax evasion made against him by the Office of the Special Prosecutor.
He initially declined court invitations asserting his immunity as a parliamentarian.
As a result, he was not in court when his case was called on Tuesday morning.
Incensed by the MP’s conduct, Justice Afia Serwaa Asare Botwe, the presiding judge ordered lawyers of the MP to produce him not later than 1 pm of that day.
Mahama Ayariga who was in Parliament at the time of the court hearing used the opportunity to seek the ruling of the Speaker on the matter.
Find below a copy of the speaker’s ruling and a letter conveying same to the presiding judge.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Freddie Blay hosts NPP loyal ladies at his residence
- NDC chair leaves post to contest Keta seat
- Rise in political propaganda disturbing – Youth activist
- Tension as angry Ashanti Region NDC supporters storm party office
- Limited Voters Registration exercise fraught with massive challenges – NDC
- We did no wrong awarding contract to David Adjaye – Parliament
- Luxury vehicle tax inefficient, scrap it in budget review - Minority
- Rawlings on 3-day working visit to Burkina Faso
- Curb your voracious appetite for borrowing – Minority to gov’t
- Gov’t to probe Sir Adjaye's multiple contracts allegations
- Strengthen Ghana’s democratic credentials with ROPAA - Ambassador to EC
- C/R: NPP constituency executives demonstrate against Chairman
- Another police officer resigns to contest for parliamentary seat
- Parliament approves €276m facility for Tamale water project
- Change constitution, cap constituencies - CDD Fellow