Audio By Carbonatix
The Premier League says it has no plans to suspend the season despite a rise in positive coronavirus tests.
On Tuesday, the latest round of top-flight testing found 18 people had the virus.
New coronavirus cases at Fulham led to their Premier League match at Tottenham on Wednesday being called off.
West Brom manager Sam Allardyce has called for a football "circuit break" but the Premier League says it "has not discussed pausing the season".
"The league continues to have confidence in its Covid-19 protocols to enable fixtures to be played as scheduled, and these protocols continue to have the full backing of government," it said.
"With the health of players and staff the priority, the league is also fully supportive of how clubs are implementing the protocols and rules."
On Monday, Manchester City's Premier League match at Everton was postponed four hours before kick-off because of a coronavirus outbreak.
Sheffield United have confirmed they had "numerous positive tests" in the latest round of testing.
Football to continue, but fans banned from stadiums again
Although the Premier League is to continue as planned, fans will once again be banned from attending football matches as more areas of England are to be placed under tougher coronavirus restrictions from midnight.
Liverpool is to be moved into tier three of the government's restrictions for England, which means fans will no longer be allowed into Anfield or Everton's Goodison Park.
The two grounds had been the only Premier League stadiums permitted to allow up to 2,000 fans inside under tier two restrictions.
Many other areas of England, including parts of the North West, the North East and the Midlands are moving into the toughest tier four restrictions from 00:01 GMT on Thursday, 31 December.
Latest Stories
-
Not one warning issued-Prof. Aning slams gov’t over failure to warn tomato traders of Burkina Faso danger
23 minutes -
Today’s Front pages : Tuesday, February 17, 2026
33 minutes -
Ghana, Spain deepen agribusiness ties as GB Foods calls on Trade Minister, unveils 6k-acre tomato project
34 minutes -
Our Alhaji of Radio Univers is gone
42 minutes -
Eve and Twinsdntbeg to headline 10th anniversary of the Warwick Africa Summit 2026
43 minutes -
Continental Free Trade Area must benefit farmers – AfCFTA Secretary-General Wamkele Mene
1 hour -
MTN Ghana and CalBank launch 2026 “Save A Life” campaign
1 hour -
24 Hour Economy Secretariat engages Bank of Ghana on policy alignment
1 hour -
The fugu fight: A lesson in identity, a reminder of our power in unity
2 hours -
Minority Whips are the backbone of my leadership – Afenyo-Markin
2 hours -
Mahama to present historic resolution on slave trade to UN in March
2 hours -
Tanker blast: NRSA presses for safety reforms
2 hours -
Ghana, Lebanon deepen security cooperation after high-level talks in Accra
2 hours -
Mahama gov’t has made no real impact after one year in office – Afenyo-Markin
2 hours -
National Apprenticeship Programme targets 2,000 youth in Ashanti Region
2 hours
