Provisional figures from the Ghana Statistical Service puts Ghana’s current population at 30.8 million.
This forms part of the outcome of the 2021 Population and Housing Census, which started in June.
According to Government Statistician, Prof Samuel Kobina Annim, this represents a 6.1 million increase from the 24.7 million recorded during the last count in 2010.
The gender demography also revealed that 50.7% of the national figure are females while males make up 49.3%.
Speaking to stakeholders in Accra during the announcement, the Statistician described the 2.1% growth rate recorded as the slowest since independence.
Per the 2021 PHC computations, “Ghana’s population has grown five-fold over the past seven decades,” Prof Annim said on Wednesday, September 22.
Greater Accra remains the most populated area with 5.44 million people, compared to the 4 million recorded in 2010. It is followed by the Ashanti Region’s 5.43 million from 4.8 million recorded during the last count.
The Ahafo Region, however, has the smallest population with 600,000 people.
Meanwhile, the final results of the 2021 PHC are expected to be announced in November 2021.
But the Statistical Service believes that certified figures on the day will not vary significantly from what has been revealed on Wednesday.
- Reckless driver in viral video fails to appear in court after falling sick
- ‘I only met Godfred Dame to discuss Law School issues’ – Justice Dotse fights off Opuni bias claims
- I doubt impartiality of Justice Dotse; he should recuse himself – Opuni
- Court grants ‘Jesus Ahuofe’ ¢100k bail over Shatta Wale hoax shooting
- Sudan general declares state of emergency amid coup
- 37th ICAG Graduation Ceremony: female UEW graduate adjudged overall best candidate
- Auditor-General uncovers ¢44m worth of abandoned projects, completed projects not put to use across
- Oyibi, Apollonia, Awoshie and other areas to experience power interruption
- Madina MP leads constituents to demonstrate over deplorable roads
- Thousands throng El-Wak stadium for Ghana Immigration Service screening
Women urged to have their breasts examined
Covid-19: Ghana’s death toll rises to 1,172
Re-nominated DCE of Adaklu fails second attempt
Treason: We don’t want to fail, it must happen – Dr Mac Palm
Message from the Morning Man: Pay for Pain
Stop begging for arrested criminals – Police to Politicians
SYND-Ghana hosts Pre-COP26 Youth Summit on climate change
There was about 1million vote difference between presidential and parliamentary results – Otokunor alleges
I blame EC for the 8 deaths recorded in 2020 elections – Otokunor
Delay in sanctioning culprits for deaths recorded in 2020 election worrying – Dr Pumpuni Asante
Ballot stuffing claims by NDC ‘bogus’ – Peter Mac Manu
EC reducing cost of elections per voter to $7.70 incorrect – Peter Otokunor
Streaming platforms do not properly represent massive support we give to our local musicians – Kwame Berko
2021 AFCON: Teams can have up to 28 players in squad
Confederation Cup is an opportunity for us to redeem themselves – Opare Addo