Audio By Carbonatix
Ms. Millicent Kweikor Akpo-Teye, until recently Head of the Auction Unit of the Customs, Excise and Preventive Service (CEPS), on Wednesday said no sanctions were applied to successful bidders who abandoned their containers at the Tema Port.
Lack of sanction against such bidders partly explains the congestion at the Tema Port. When bidders do not pay for their bids, the second highest bidder is offered the container or it is re-auctioned.
Testifying before the Justice Samuel Glenn Baddoo Committee in Accra, Ms. Akpo-Teye said CEPS did not offer any warranty for quality, quantity and condition of goods in a container after a successful bidder had paid for a container.
The bidder bears any risk for leaving the container in the port.
The witness said there had been instances when people had bid for containers but rather abandoned them because they did not find buyers.
Also, there were no official records of progressive bid prices.
Ms. Akpo-Teye agreed that there had been situations of bedlam when auctioneers ran into crowds of bidders who noisily struggled to mention higher bid prices to outdo their competitors.
According the witness, when a bidder won a bid, the chit for the payment of the container was released immediately or later, but apart from vehicles, no follow-up details as telephone numbers or contacts were taken.
Ms. Akpo-Teye said some bid prices had gone far above the reserved price, which was the price a container had been marked to be sold, citing an instance where a container marked below 200 Ghana cedis had been auctioned for 2,000 Ghana cedis.
Some of this had often been done without recourse to the CEPS head office, she said.
Source: GNA
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Nana Aba Anamoah rates Mahama’s performance
10 minutes -
Woman found dead at Dzodze
42 minutes -
Nana Aba Anamoah names Doreen Andoh and Kwasi Twum as her dream interviewees
1 hour -
Religious Affairs Minister urges Christians to embrace charity and humility as Lent begins
2 hours -
Religious Affairs Minister calls for unity as Ramadan begins
3 hours -
Willie Colón, trombonist who pioneered salsa music, dies aged 75
3 hours -
Ga Mantse discharged from UGMC following Oti Region accident
4 hours -
Guardiola tells team to chill with cocktails as Man City pile pressure on Arsenal
4 hours -
Majority blasts Minority over Burkinabe border bloodbath claims
5 hours -
Analyst says Burkina Faso killings were a calculated signal to Ghana
6 hours -
Veep extends Ramadan greetings, donates to Cape Coast Central Mosque
7 hours -
Watch the moment President Mahama visited the Ga Mantse at UGMC after horrific accident
7 hours -
UBIDS secures $6.6m prefabricated classroom complex to end space deficit
8 hours -
Gold Fields Ghana Foundation deepens childhood cancer awareness drive; invests $4.8m in community health
8 hours -
Iran students stage first large anti-government protests since deadly crackdown
9 hours
